The Student Room Group

Subject Requirements LSE and Oxford

Hi guys, I want to apply to Oxford and LSE economics. I am an IB student and my classes are MATH Analysis and Approaches Hl, Spanish Literature SL, English B HL, Business HL, French Ab Initio, and Computer Science SL. My school does not offer economics, and none of the group 6 subjects. Therefore, we have to repeat one group. I wanted to choose History, but my school rejected it because it was in the same period as Business. Therefore, I had to choose French. Do you think that this is enough to apply for Economics or Finance at LSE? They say that they consider each individual application, so I don't know.
Hi, I would say it should be fine as you have Maths AA HL which is a crucial subject for economics. Also, no uni can require economics as an IB subject even for an economics degree, because it isn't a typical subject that every school offers and also Business HL might be quite related to economics.
I think you should work on things to put in your personal statement which would be related to economics and also mention that you couldn't take it in the IB because your school doesn't offer it and it should be fine :smile:
Do you have any other possibility instead of French? I mean, it isn't necessary of you to change it but ab initio languages, in my opinion, seem to unis not very competitive so you could possibly change it for another subject, but it isn't essential, it should be alright the way it is
Hope this helps a bit! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by VanillaCream
Hi, I would say it should be fine as you have Maths AA HL which is a crucial subject for economics. Also, no uni can require economics as an IB subject even for an economics degree, because it isn't a typical subject that every school offers and also Business HL might be quite related to economics.
I think you should work on things to put in your personal statement which would be related to economics and also mention that you couldn't take it in the IB because your school doesn't offer it and it should be fine :smile:
Do you have any other possibility instead of French? I mean, it isn't necessary of you to change it but ab initio languages, in my opinion, seem to unis not very competitive so you could possibly change it for another subject, but it isn't essential, it should be alright the way it is
Hope this helps a bit! :wink:

Thank you for your reply. I am in the middle of the first year so I can not change my subject. I decided to write my extended essay about the purchase of a bank by another(Banco Santander purchased Banco popular), which is related to the financial system, and therefore, related to economics in a way. My promotion will be the 4th promotion of IB students at my school so my school does not offered as much subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by santi3x3
Hi guys, I want to apply to Oxford and LSE economics. I am an IB student and my classes are MATH Analysis and Approaches Hl, Spanish Literature SL, English B HL, Business HL, French Ab Initio, and Computer Science SL. My school does not offer economics, and none of the group 6 subjects. Therefore, we have to repeat one group. I wanted to choose History, but my school rejected it because it was in the same period as Business. Therefore, I had to choose French. Do you think that this is enough to apply for Economics or Finance at LSE? They say that they consider each individual application, so I don't know.

Lack of further maths more likely to be an issue for LSE than lack of economics - assuming you didn't get the chance to take that, you need to explain that in your application.
Original post by 2500_2
Lack of further maths more likely to be an issue for LSE than lack of economics - assuming you didn't get the chance to take that, you need to explain that in your application.

I believe there is no such subject as Further Maths with the new Math courses and Maths AA is kind of the 'highest'
Reply 5
Original post by VanillaCream
I believe there is no such subject as Further Maths with the new Math courses and Maths AA is kind of the 'highest'

That's right, they change the Math subjects, Math AA Hl is the highest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending