The Student Room Group

What causes birth control inplant to fail?

Luck or is there element human error like it being placed wrong or not replaced after the three years?
Incorrect insertion can be a problem and yes, if you don't get it replaced after the 3 years.

Also, no contraception is ever 100%. I believe in the Nexplanon (brand of implant) booklet it says over 99% effective - this is still not 100%.

Weight can also prevent the implant from working as well as it should. Many overweight women are advised to get it changed sooner than 3 years.
Yes weight is one factor. I always assumed though that it’s not being overweight as such, like I am 6 foot tall so even not overweight, I still have more mass than someone who is shorter. I started getting periods back after 2 1/2 years so I figured it was “wearing out”
So it’s as low risk as you can get as user error doesn’t really figure in as much as others
Original post by Catherine1973
Yes weight is one factor. I always assumed though that it’s not being overweight as such, like I am 6 foot tall so even not overweight, I still have more mass than someone who is shorter. I started getting periods back after 2 1/2 years so I figured it was “wearing out”
So it’s as low risk as you can get as user error doesn’t really figure in as much as others

I got mine changed in January this year despite it not running out until July. I could just feel that is wasn't right so maybe it running out early is more of an issue that I thought?

I've had the implant for more than 6 years, this is now my 3rd one. I started to bleed again in January and my boobs got really sore which is not something that normally happens to me with the implant in. The contraceptive nurse I spoke to advised that they don't really 'run out' and that I might just be reacting differently. I insisted I wanted it changing and since I have had it changed, everything has been normal again.

You just have to know your body I guess. Which I know can be hard for people using contraception for the first time.
Yeah I went back to the depo injection as didn’t totally trust it. Depo work fine for me, just got to be organised to get it done every 12 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending