The Student Room Group

Pineapple inducing period 11 days early..

My period ended 10 days ago (On Friday). Yesterday and this morning, I ate an entire pineapple (Almost) because I obsessed with it over the Summer. Now I'm getting stomach cramps and just constipation and diarrhea. I just read that pineapple is very commonly used for inducing periods. But could it induce a period 10-11 days early, because that's when my period in next due? I'm stressed now because I don't know what to expect, has this ever happened to anyone before?
Original post by Anonymous
My period ended 10 days ago (On Friday). Yesterday and this morning, I ate an entire pineapple (Almost) because I obsessed with it over the Summer. Now I'm getting stomach cramps and just constipation and diarrhea. I just read that pineapple is very commonly used for inducing periods. But could it induce a period 10-11 days early, because that's when my period in next due? I'm stressed now because I don't know what to expect, has this ever happened to anyone before?

So this is actually normal, pineapple can cause miscarriages, labour and periods to start due to an enzyme in it called bromelain, this enzyme softened your uterine lining, you start your cycle over a week before actually getting your period, your lining is already softening around this time. It's also theorised that bromelain effects estrogen so it could potentially induce it 10/11 days in advance. Do remember that periods aren't linear, they will start when they feel like it, whether your due or not to, your body can re-adjust its internal clock for your period any time it wants. If you're on birth control, fhat can also affect it, stress can make it come earlier or later, exercise can also make it come sooner (usually closer to the date) and many other things, all of this natural. You should only be worried if its excessive bleeding, and constant (as in your never off your period or only for a short time like a week or two)
Reply 2
Original post by jimenarojo
Happened to me with a banana. Shoved it in me and boom, started bleeding.

Didn't actually end up working for me 😂 In fact my period is late now so I was at the pineapple again. Maybe the banana was a coincidence though, never listed in the foods that affect periods.

Quick Reply

Latest