The Student Room Group

Applying to top RG unis

Hi,

I am a Year 12 student and I have a few queries regarding contextual data and offers, and I was wondering what others would have to say about my situation as I need some advice.

I really want to study law at university and I am exploring potential university choices as I will need to start preparing my UCAS application.
I received average results at my non-selective secondary school (four 7s, four 6s and one 5), my school's performance (% of students achieving 5-9) is quite low and was classed as being in a disadvantaged area too. My postcode meets the criteria of quintile 1 & 2 for the POLAR measure and neither of my parents attended university. I now attend a grammar school studying English Literature, Geography and Business. My results from this year so far from assessments and exams shows I have performed quite well and I am working towards having good predictions, AAA - A*AA.

I have attended a few court trials and was also accepted for Oxford's UNIQ for English but it was obviously cancelled due to the Covid 19 situation. I have a few extra curricular activities such as volunteering at local fairs, mentoring younger years, prefect and practice Karate regularly.

So, my question is: what are my chances of getting into top RG unis like UCL, Durham, Notts etc. I feel as though my GCSEs are severely reducing my chances of success even though I have progressed a lot since. If my chances are not high, then I am fine with this, I would just like to know what direction I should be taking. I know that Law is extremely competitive, but I would really like to know what my chances are. Even if it's not realistic, at least I can put this to the back of my mind and focus on doing as good as soon as school commences again. Also, if it is unrealistic would it be the same when applying to less popular courses such as Geography? Any advice too would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
there are more universities in the UK other than the 24 RG unis , the university experience is just as good (if not better) than going to a RG :rolleyes:
I am in year 13 and am supposed to start uni in September.I do three A levels,History,Politics and Religion I did not do GCSE's but did the Irish equivalent before i moved here two years ago and I got pretty good grades 3 A's,7 B's and a C -all higher level.When I moved to England I was honestly distracted with moving and my social life and my new 'friends and I were not really l focused on Uni but like party's,boys ect. So my grades were horrid as in I would be lucky to get a C.I put off doing my statement like it was all a shambles.In the end of year 12 exams I got CDD. I was not aware we would have to start UCAS in September and I was frightened about the predicted grades I would receive because it was evident my teachers would rightfully look at my grades and predict a C at the most.I found out about to go to a Russel Group then and I felt like I screwed my chances and hoped I could do better in lessons so my teachers could predict me better grades.So I concentrated and cut everyone off ,for other reasons though and found that the uni of Leeds had the best course for me and luckily they had the Access to Leeds Scheme were they would lower the requirement from ABB to BBC and thankfully I am eligible. I got into the Scheme and received an offer from the Uni of Leeds which is a Russel Group and ranked 10th in the Uk 2020 Guardian Uni list.So I am pretty sure if you are getting A* you'll be fine:wink:But i think it also depends on your personal statement,experience and how your subjects relate to your course.My subjects relate well to my chosen course of Languages,Cultures and International relations and I used to be really involved with volunteering by raising money for third world countries and fun extra curricular like basketball and performing Arts which showcase teamwork plus I have a multicultural language and speak four languages so it really all depends.But you shouldn't need to worry about your grades I think because they seem fine.Good Luck x

Edit:Law however, is more competitive but that just my experience.Plus I am not sure if you would see Leeds in the same league as UCL and Durham.My friend however, is doing A level English Lit,History and Law and he always get A* and A's.He does not really do extra curricular which is an advantage that you have but he got offers from Durham,Manchester and Leeds for Law so like I said I am sure you will be fine
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by elisaxgarcia122
I am in year 13 and am supposed to start uni in September.I do three A levels,History,Politics and Religion I did not do GCSE's but did the Irish equivalent before i moved here two years ago and I got pretty good grades 3 A's,7 B's and a C -all higher level.When I moved to England I was honestly distracted with moving and my social life and my new 'friends and I were not really l focused on Uni but like party's,boys ect. So my grades were horrid as in I would be lucky to get a C.I put off doing my statement like it was all a shambles.In the end of year 12 exams I got CDD. I was not aware we would have to start UCAS in September and I was frightened about the predicted grades I would receive because it was evident my teachers would rightfully look at my grades and predict a C at the most.I found out about to go to a Russel Group then and I felt like I screwed my chances and hoped I could do better in lessons so my teachers could predict me better grades.So I concentrated and cut everyone off ,for other reasons though and found that the uni of Leeds had the best course for me and luckily they had the Access to Leeds Scheme were they would lower the requirement from ABB to BBC and thankfully I am eligible. I got into the Scheme and received an offer from the Uni of Leeds which is a Russel Group and ranked 10th in the Uk 2020 Guardian Uni list.So I am pretty sure if you are getting A* you'll be fine:wink:But i think it also depends on your personal statement,experience and how your subjects relate to your course.My subjects relate well to my chosen course of Languages,Cultures and International relations and I used to be really involved with volunteering by raising money for third world countries and fun extra curricular like basketball and performing Arts which showcase teamwork plus I have a multicultural language and speak four languages so it really all depends.But you shouldn't need to worry about your grades I think because they seem fine.Good Luck x

Edit:Law however, is more competitive but that just my experience.Plus I am not sure if you would see Leeds in the same league as UCL and Durham.My friend however, is doing A level English Lit,History and Law and he always get A* and A's.He does not really do extra curricular which is an advantage that you have but he got offers from Durham,Manchester and Leeds for Law so like I said I am sure you will be fine

this is really assuring, I can take my gcse grades off my mind now amd focus, thanks!
Original post by hackettmike
So, my question is: what are my chances of getting into top RG unis like UCL, Durham, Notts etc. I feel as though my GCSEs are severely reducing my chances of success even though I have progressed a lot since. If my chances are not high, then I am fine with this, I would just like to know what direction I should be taking. I know that Law is extremely competitive, but I would really like to know what my chances are. Even if it's not realistic, at least I can put this to the back of my mind and focus on doing as good as soon as school commences again. Also, if it is unrealistic would it be the same when applying to less popular courses such as Geography? Any advice too would be greatly appreciated.

Most RG unis are not too bothered about GCSES and will mainly use your A level predicted grades (and LNAT score in the case of the 3 unis you have mentioned) to decide whether or not to offer you a conditional place. If they have particular GCSE requirements they will clearly state them on their websites. For example, Nottingham require a minimum grade C/4 in English while UCL requires grade B/6 in English and Maths. Very unusually for Law, UCL also prefer a grade 5 in a foreign language.
Reply 5
Original post by hackettmike
Hi,

I am a Year 12 student and I have a few queries regarding contextual data and offers, and I was wondering what others would have to say about my situation as I need some advice.

I really want to study law at university and I am exploring potential university choices as I will need to start preparing my UCAS application.
I received average results at my non-selective secondary school (four 7s, four 6s and one 5), my school's performance (% of students achieving 5-9) is quite low and was classed as being in a disadvantaged area too. My postcode meets the criteria of quintile 1 & 2 for the POLAR measure and neither of my parents attended university. I now attend a grammar school studying English Literature, Geography and Business. My results from this year so far from assessments and exams shows I have performed quite well and I am working towards having good predictions, AAA - A*AA.

I have attended a few court trials and was also accepted for Oxford's UNIQ for English but it was obviously cancelled due to the Covid 19 situation. I have a few extra curricular activities such as volunteering at local fairs, mentoring younger years, prefect and practice Karate regularly.

Thanks

I got a 7, 3A's, 4B's and 2C's. Almost exactly the same results that you did. I got offers from places like York and Lancaster for Law. Very good unis near the top of the rankings, and well respected by employers and Law Firms and Sets. Don't worry about your GCSE's. A-levels are what they care about.
Your non-selective school will be taken into consideration so that's something to consider, for both A levels and GCSEs. If your school performance was quite low then that will be an advantage as they will compare your performance to your schools so basically if you did better than your schools average than that's amazing. You will qualify for a contextual offer at most unis (although Oxbridge doesnt lower their grades but it will be taken into consideration overall in your application). Those predictions are amazing and you dont seem to have a huge gap in your gcses so they become a tiny bit reliable.

Only Oxford cares about 9s/8s and your grades are good for other selective unis. Your other factors in your application is more important like your A levels, personal statement (LSE actually cares about it but personal statements are important if there's no interview), other admissions test (CLT and LNAT) and interview (if any like Oxbridge and York). For unis like UCL, Durham and Nottts the LNAT is very important so if you do well in this, your GCSEs will be overshadowed. For LNAT, UCL cares about the essay more and Durham and Notts wants a satisfactory score (so near the average for that year).

For Law your chances are pretty good, due to your gcse context, a level predictions but your lnat has more weighting for those unis (e.g. Bristol's weighting is 40% LNAT, 40% A levels and 20% GCSE). Most unis are satisfied if you meet their gcse requirements tbh. Idk about Geography though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending