The Student Room Group

Grad scheme or masters post rona

So i had a tech internship lined up for this summer at a big firm (my degree is biology) , and they've basically asked me back to the interview next year for their grad scheme (so its v likely ill get it?).
My uni has announced they'll be able to give me £13k to do a masters conversion in datasci when i graduate as they have been given funding from somebody for a few years. (fees are £9.25k). So its basically one or the other because the distance is not doable.

Is it worth putting off my grad scheme for this masters? Surely if I get the grad scheme I would be qualified for the jobs I wanted anyways?

Am I still able to do a grad scheme after a masters?

Upsides to staying at uni are the soc side, with lots of my friends returning from years out then, and obviously there will be more jobs then than this year after rona.
How hard would it be to save £13k realistically if my grad starting salary is like £32k and I move away from home?

I hope this isn't too many questions!!
Reply 1
Where would you be living on £32k? My general rule would be this - if you are offered a permanent job, or even a one year contract, in a field you are somewhat interested in in a decent company it is very unwise to turn it down unless there is a very strong reason. A funded masters for a course you could do part time or in the future probably isn't a strong enough reason.

The big challenge for most students is to get into decent employment. Once you have a couple of years experience things get easier.
Reply 2
With the way the economy will be in the coming few years, it'll likely be harder to get a good grad job. I'd leap at the chance to get your foot in the door at a good company now, rather than go through the masters and end up not being able to get a job, or be stuck overqualified somewhere.
Original post by ajj2000
Where would you be living on £32k? My general rule would be this - if you are offered a permanent job, or even a one year contract, in a field you are somewhat interested in in a decent company it is very unwise to turn it down unless there is a very strong reason. A funded masters for a course you could do part time or in the future probably isn't a strong enough reason.

The big challenge for most students is to get into decent employment. Once you have a couple of years experience things get easier.

reading area (far from home) . Starting Ofc. i did think this but there is still the possibility they won't take me as i have no tech experience really? Are they likely to let me progress without a strong foundation in coding etc. idk. Probably just stressing about everything now! Thanks anyways!
Reply 4
Original post by ADele121231234
reading area (far from home) . Starting Ofc. i did think this but there is still the possibility they won't take me as i have no tech experience really? Are they likely to let me progress without a strong foundation in coding etc. idk. Probably just stressing about everything now! Thanks anyways!

Cant you sign up to the masters and just turn it down if you find a decent grad job?
I suppose, but that would mean that I was prioritising the grad scheme! So that requires a decision!
Reply 6
Original post by ADele121231234
I suppose, but that would mean that I was prioritising the grad scheme! So that requires a decision!

You dont have a job offer for a grad scheme at the moment do you? So at the moment there is no decision to make.
I secured the summer internship and theyve moved me onto the interview for the grad scheme. Both interviews are the same so i think I'm pretty much in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending