The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham vs University of Manchester

I'm torn between both unis. I'm going for pharmacy. I know its late but Nottingham has agreed to let me switch from insurance to firm if I want to and theres accomodation left in a few halls id be willing to go to. Although I like Manchesters city and campus more I ain't big on nightlife I get extremely claustrophobic at clubs and feel as though itd be harder to find my 'tribe' because a lot of people are drawn to Manchester because of the night life. Icould probably find people the same as me but its unlikely theyll be in my accomodationim worried about noise and hardcore drugs. I feel like at Nottingham its a more take it or leave it and the nightlife just aint as daunting and people go there more for academia. However the thought of being on campus leaves me feeling a bit cold I dont like the idea of walking miles everyday but tbf I did like the town.

I'd just like to go out once a week to a busy bar or quiet nightclub like edens and get my degree. Just be happy. Is that too much to ask?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm torn between both unis. I'm going for pharmacy. I know its late but Nottingham has agreed to let me switch from insurance to firm if I want to and theres accomodation left in a few halls id be willing to go to. Although I like Manchesters city and campus more I ain't big on nightlife I get extremely claustrophobic at clubs and feel as though itd be harder to find my 'tribe' because a lot of people are drawn to Manchester because of the night life. Icould probably find people the same as me but its unlikely theyll be in my accomodationim worried about noise and hardcore drugs. I feel like at Nottingham its a more take it or leave it and the nightlife just aint as daunting and people go there more for academia. However the thought of being on campus leaves me feeling a bit cold I dont like the idea of walking miles everyday but tbf I did like the town.

I'd just like to go out once a week to a busy bar or quiet nightclub like edens and get my degree. Just be happy. Is that too much to ask?

Hi : Also Nottingham offer one year study abroad in Asia or Australia and this is surly great opportunity to see the world while studying.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

So on your bottom line, this is absoultly fine. You dont have to go out clubbing at any uni if you dont want to. In terms of finding people to go to bars or pubs to, perhaps joining a society or two is a good idea. I would say most people tend to focus on the clubbing aspect of uni and this is definetly a big part for a lot of people but every uni also has bars & pubs and people who prefer this.

In terms of walking miles everyday, you'll have to walk to in-person teaching but its not miles it will probably be a 10-20 minute walk, if you pick Nottingham but ther is an excellent tram & bus service to help get around between campus & the city (although I doubt you'll go to the city everyday and if you do just go to a bar then you can split an uber between 3-4 people which would just be a couple quid).

There probably is a bigger nightlife scene in Manchester then Notts, and I do think more people at Notts have more of an acadmic mindset, but students nights are still a big part of uni there. Nottingham students probably go out just as much as Manchester ones do. Wherever you go its just about finding your group of people, which if you join societies shouldnt be a problem. Notts uni does have some community groups to help people make friends who dont just want to go out clubbing, so if you do go to Nottingham look out for them.

good luck either way both are excellent unis!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending