The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Medicine (A106) 2021 entry

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd set this up for all those of you considering applying to Manchester this year. I know there's a lot of uncertainty with the current Covid-19 so I'm here to help in anyway I can.

We can discuss the application process requirements and also parts of the Manchester course. Remember Manchester is PBL/Integrated so they do a lot of small group teaching which is supplemented with lectures and early clinical experience. You have weekly PBL sessions, Anatomy (dissection), and communication sessions. If you're interested, here's what a week in your first year will look like.

I've just finished my 3rd year of Medicine at Manchester (will be in my next year by the time you all apply) and love helping out aspiring medics so if any of you have any questions about the uni, the course structure or want and tips regarding your application, feel free to just ask!

Manchester A104 / A106 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6971736
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! I’m also a Manchester medical student (1st year) so happy to help out or answer any questions
How many students does Manchester invite for interviews and how many offers do they then make
Reply 3
Original post by HuManPerSon1234
How many students does Manchester invite for interviews and how many offers do they then make

Where have you tried looking for this information?
A med school's website is always a good place to start
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/
Manchester says on their website if you apply with achieved grades, your GCSEs won’t have much of an emphasis placed. I.e you could still be considered despite not having 7 As/7s

Is anyone aware say theoretically I apply with
A levels - AAA (achieved)
GCSEs 88777666BB (meet minimum requirements in English and maths)
Ucat - 700-750 band 1/2 (due to my mocks and my score last year this seems like how I’ll end up doing)
Woke experience + volunteering too
Would I stand a chance?
Reply 5
Original post by Uzair63
Manchester says on their website if you apply with achieved grades, your GCSEs won’t have much of an emphasis placed. I.e you could still be considered despite not having 7 As/7s

Is anyone aware say theoretically I apply with
A levels - AAA (achieved)
GCSEs 88777666BB (meet minimum requirements in English and maths)
Ucat - 700-750 band 1/2 (due to my mocks and my score last year this seems like how I’ll end up doing)
Woke experience + volunteering too
Would I stand a chance?

The website has to say the following regarding this:
"This is not an automatic right and you should contact the admissions team prior to application to determine your eligibility to apply."
So I would have thought that is what you need to do......?
Original post by GANFYD
The website has to say the following regarding this:
"This is not an automatic right and you should contact the admissions team prior to application to determine your eligibility to apply."
So I would have thought that is what you need to do......?

Ohhh ok so by late august I should email and enquire, I know Leicester gives a guarantee on their site for this circumstance but it seems Manchester is more ambiguous
Reply 7
Ive got my UCAT next week and i was just wondering what sort of score would I need to be aiming for to apply to Manchester for Medicine
Reply 8
Original post by saharrr
Ive got my UCAT next week and i was just wondering what sort of score would I need to be aiming for to apply to Manchester for Medicine

Med school websites are a good place to look for information about this type of thing
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/

(or 4 posts above yours on this thread....)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Heyy!
I got 2530 in my UCAT a week ago with SJT Band 1.
Do you think I should risk applying to Manchester as I believe I make a strong candidate for the holistic assessment and the R+R Form?
These are my stats:
GCSEs- 999998888
A-Level target grades- A*A*A*A* (bio+chem+maths+phys)
UCAT- 2530 (632.5 avg) with Band 1 SJT
I have 1 week work experience at a hospital and I do volunteering at a hospital too.

Any help would be great :smile:
Thanks a lot!

Meghana
Reply 10
Hey, hope someone can help!

I’m about confused for undergraduate application at Manchester.
Is it a requirement to have 4 AS/A level or does it just give you an advantage?

Also they said you can replace the fourth AS with another qualification, I have done a sports leadership course which counts as an extra qualification but did it out of school so where would I put that on my UCAS form so they know I have that extra qualification?

Thanks in advance!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jk1683

Also they said you can replace the fourth AS with another qualification, I have done a sports leadership course which counts as an extra qualification but did it out of school so where would I put that on my UCAS form so they know I have that extra qualification?

Thanks in advance!!

If your A levels are in the range and your UCAT is in the top 30% you will very likely get an interview. After you send in the UCAS form, Manchester send out an NAI form which is basically a more in depth personal statement so for the sports leadership activities; you mention you could include that there.

Don't know about your other AS level question - sorry
Reply 12
Original post by JohnnyHK
If your A levels are in the range and your UCAT is in the top 30% you will very likely get an interview. After you send in the UCAS form, Manchester send out an NAI form which is basically a more in depth personal statement so for the sports leadership activities; you mention you could include that there.

Don't know about your other AS level question - sorry

Okay thanks so much!
Reply 13
Original post by jk1683

Thanks in advance!!

Somebody clarified this with Manchester last year, and they said that if you were applying via the UCAT route three standard A-levels is fine, despite this not being what it says on their website
did anyone else's offer for medicine 2020 get deferred to 2021 for medicine this year that they have accepted??
Hi everyone.
My stats are 2700 band 2 ucat (675 av)
9988888776 GCSE
AAA achieved at A Level (Biology Chemistry and Maths
Good PS with all relevant work exp, extra curriculum activities etc
Do I have a good chance of getting an interview at manchester? Thanks
HI,Is BMAT required for international students to apply to B106, university website shows nothing about it,,where as BMAT website shows the same..PLEASE CLARIFY!!!
I really want to go to manchester but I got an average/low UCAT score:VR: 650DM: 630QR: 690AR: 560total: 2530SJ band 1 Would I be considered for an interview do you think? I am elligible for a contextual offer, which includes a reduction in UCAT score, but I am worried because the minimum was 2460 in 2018/19, but previous years it was higher than what I got :frown:
Original post by MeghanaP
Heyy!
I got 2530 in my UCAT a week ago with SJT Band 1.
Do you think I should risk applying to Manchester as I believe I make a strong candidate for the holistic assessment and the R+R Form?
These are my stats:
GCSEs- 999998888
A-Level target grades- A*A*A*A* (bio+chem+maths+phys)
UCAT- 2530 (632.5 avg) with Band 1 SJT
I have 1 week work experience at a hospital and I do volunteering at a hospital too.

Any help would be great :smile:
Thanks a l

I have the same UCAT score as you lol and I also think I make a good candidate for a holistic assessment but Im

I have the same UCAT score as you lol and I also think I make a good candidate for a holistic assessment but Im still so worried about applying!!
Reply 19
i really wanted to apply here but i’m so depressed my UCAT went so bad :/

GCSEs: 999988887 (7 in Art) + Award in Algebra III
AS: AABB (Math,Computing,Bio,Chem)
A-Level: A*AA/A*A*A (Math,Bio,Chem, + EPQ)
UCAT: 2420 (averaged 605) and SJT band 3
Work Experience: cancelled (Did BSMS/ Observe GP online and have 3 months charity shop work)

I’m part of the Manchester Access Programme and I have the WP+ flag with my application if i do apply.

I ruined everything with my UCAT and I hate myself for it - I messed up everything and i don’t know my chances with Manchester anymore :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending