The Student Room Group

Medicine Work experience

Can anyone help me out with what is a good work experience to do during the summer once this pandemic is over? I have previously gone to a pharmacy for work experience, so I am not sure what else to do during summer for work experience that will help for uni when applying for medicine. Also once this pandemic is over I am going to do a programme to turn into a lifeguard and would be like a weekend job after that. So can anyone suggest good work experiences to do because currently, I am 16.
Volunteer at a residential home. I did that for 2 years (from 16-18) and came up with games and fun activities for them and it really strengthened my application. I’d say it’s probably the best thing that you can have on your application that isn’t grades.
Original post by Jamie_1712
Volunteer at a residential home. I did that for 2 years (from 16-18) and came up with games and fun activities for them and it really strengthened my application. I’d say it’s probably the best thing that you can have on your application that isn’t grades.

Thank you so much. When you mean residential home, you mean be like nursing home right?
Original post by Mastermind05
Can anyone help me out with what is a good work experience to do during the summer once this pandemic is over? I have previously gone to a pharmacy for work experience, so I am not sure what else to do during summer for work experience that will help for uni when applying for medicine. Also once this pandemic is over I am going to do a programme to turn into a lifeguard and would be like a weekend job after that. So can anyone suggest good work experiences to do because currently, I am 16.

Volunteering in any care/ residential home/ hospice is very valuable if possible. If not, I think the lifeguard job could be suitable if you explain how the skills you'd use are relevant to medicine. I would suggest trying to get both, as the volunteering posts can range from 1 hour a week upwards, so it would be really easy to balance.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you so much. When you mean residential home, you mean be like nursing home right?

I mean yeah, but I did mine in a residential home as the people there are in better shape so would be more willing and have better understanding of the games. In a nursing or care home it’s generally people in their very last stage of life and getting them to join in will be more challenging.
Original post by Jamie_1712
I mean yeah, but I did mine in a residential home as the people there are in better shape so would be more willing and have better understanding of the games. In a nursing or care home it’s generally people in their very last stage of life and getting them to join in will be more challenging.

Thank you so much 👍🏽
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Volunteering in any care/ residential home/ hospice is very valuable if possible. If not, I think the lifeguard job could be suitable if you explain how the skills you'd use are relevant to medicine. I would suggest trying to get both, as the volunteering posts can range from 1 hour a week upwards, so it would be really easy to balance.

Thank you so much 👍🏽
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666
this thread may help as many people are in the same position as you :smile:
there are virtual WE such as BSMS and observe GP https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/discover-general-practice/observe-gp.aspx
(edited 3 years ago)

Thank you so much, this is actually amazing. How did you come across this? Btw do you know what happens after I finish this course? Like would there be some sort of certificate or do we just say we did this in our personal statement? Just to be clear.
Thank you so much, this is actually amazing. How did you come across this? Btw do you know what happens after I finish this course? Like would there be some sort of certificate or do we just say we did this in our personal statement? Just to be clear.

I just started g, so i don't know what happens when u finish the course. I signed up to The Medic Portal, who sent me an email about the work experience. You should sign up too, its rly good.
Original post by infamouBx
I just started g, so i don't know what happens when u finish the course. I signed up to The Medic Portal, who sent me an email about the work experience. You should sign up too, its rly good.

Oh that's calm. Thanks man.👍🏽

from their website:

What will you be provided with on completion?
- Certificate of completion of the virtual work experience course
- Transcript of reflective work
- Something interesting to talk about in your personal statement and/or medical school interviews!
Original post by stereotypeasian
from their website:

What will you be provided with on completion?
- Certificate of completion of the virtual work experience course
- Transcript of reflective work
- Something interesting to talk about in your personal statement and/or medical school interviews!

That's great!! This is acc mad. Thank you so much @stereotypeasian and @infamouBx
That's great!! This is acc mad. Thank you so much @stereotypeasian and @infamouBx

check out this one as well
observe GP https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exa...bserve-gp.aspx
you could also take part in medicine essay competitions if possible and reading some books from here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6491274

Anytime x
What stage u at?
LOOOL, not as behind as me. I'm still on Introduction to NHS
Yea we got timeee, i just started doing it tho. It RLY is annoying. Especially the quizlet thing - it made me repeat it like 10 times b4 i could move on.
At the beginning, in 'Introduction to Course'. The Glossary Quiz, remeber? They got it from quizlet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending