The Student Room Group

Should I go into make artist once again.Need your help

So some years back I wanted to get into makeup as i wanted to be in the media and theatre industry. I pursued a course that focus on different styles in makeup and travelled over 2 hours from home just to do this part time course. As I have autism, he brightness of the makeup room was too bright for me and I kept feeling sick with headaches. My makeup skills were useless on I was working on one person. I was on jobseekers at the time and I remembered I had to attend the appointments the same date as my course.
So I left the course and w while later i moved and continued to pursue acting again and got a daily job and tbh it didnt work out. As much as I love acting and to direct, I dont think it will go to plan after lock down. Is taking more courses in makeup a good idea?
I did a makeup artistry course and honestly I loved it, I loved the mood boards, the shoots and dressing people up as well as doing the special fx makeup, I just found the theory side ruined my hobby for a short time. I was definitely too young and didn’t have the right career mind for it. I think being a successful makeup artist takes real motivation and dedication to your work, you will have to work very hard on portfolios and every photo shoot you do in college to appeal to employers. I think if you came away from makeup artistry and want to go back into it then that tells you in itself that you should definitely at least try it if you know you are going to be dedicated to making something great out of it!

I think as for the autism, I can’t begin to imagine how you must have felt. But unfortunately, the lighting will not go away on sets unless you could request daylight (I’m unsure). I do know for certain though that daylight is the best source of light for doing makeup, so if you ever worked in a salon or from home/mobile, this shouldn’t be a problem. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lxllipop
I did a makeup artistry course and honestly I loved it, I loved the mood boards, the shoots and dressing people up as well as doing the special fx makeup, I just found the theory side ruined my hobby for a short time. I was definitely too young and didn’t have the right career mind for it. I think being a successful makeup artist takes real motivation and dedication to your work, you will have to work very hard on portfolios and every photo shoot you do in college to appeal to employers. I think if you came away from makeup artistry and want to go back into it then that tells you in itself that you should definitely at least try it if you know you are going to be dedicated to making something great out of it!

I think as for the autism, I can’t begin to imagine how you must have felt. But unfortunately, the lighting will not go away on sets unless you could request daylight (I’m unsure). I do know for certain though that daylight is the best source of light for doing makeup, so if you ever worked in a salon or from home/mobile, this shouldn’t be a problem. I hope this helps :smile:

Hi

Thank you for the advice. I am thinking of maybe doing a fast paced course and work really hard to build my portfolio. I do defiently want to work in theatre and film but again the bright lights will get too much. Hopefully I can find a way around it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending