The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get a job after a psychology degree?

I want to do a psychology degree as I am really interested in the subject. However I am not planning to go into clinical psychology. I am planning to go into research.

If all goes well I will do a masters in cognitive psychology or a related field.

If not or I change my mind, then I will go into a business career.

if I change my mind and I decide to stop at my bachelors degree, how hard will it be to find a job?
what careers are you interested in specifically?
Reply 2
Original post by stumptrump
what careers are you interested in specifically?

Research careers is what I'm planning to go into
Original post by Ameba
I want to do a psychology degree as I am really interested in the subject. However I am not planning to go into clinical psychology. I am planning to go into research.

If all goes well I will do a masters in cognitive psychology or a related field.

if I change my mind and I decide to stop at my bachelors degree, how hard will it be to find a job?

Hi @Ameba,

Although I am not a psychology student myself, I have had a look at the prospects website which gives careers options for those with psychology degrees. There appears to be a large range both directly related and in instances where the degree would come in useful :smile: Hope this helps!

Millie- Student Representative
Original post by Ameba

what kind of research? RA? PhD?
Original post by Ameba

yes

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5779952#post81632702
Reply 6
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @Ameba,

Although I am not a psychology student myself, I have had a look at the prospects website which gives careers options for those with psychology degrees. There appears to be a large range both directly related and in instances where the degree would come in useful :smile: Hope this helps!

Millie- Student Representative

Thanks for this!
Reply 7
Original post by Ameba

It's a great degree to have if you are interested in research. After your BSc, you could apply for research assistant jobs, continue with postgraduate study in an area you are interested, or find a volunteer opportunity in research - or all 3! I volunteered as an RA in a psychology department at a university near my home while I was finishing my BSc - that was a great experience, though after that I decided it wasn't for me!

There are a lot of options with a psychology degree, but most will involve postgraduate study.
Reply 8
If you’re interested in research then you can volunteer at research projects in your university and also apply to internships. I’m a Psych student now and every one of my lecturers have told me to volunteer in unis (even if it’s not the one I’m studying in atm) or apply for internships now if I wanted to get a research assistance job when I graduate. Your chances are much higher if you graduate with experience and references.

Quick Reply

Latest