The Student Room Group

history AQA topics and memorisation

so currently I'm in year 10 and I'm doing cold war and Germany at home and I cant seem to remember the dates and also im really screwed because we never even started Elizabethan England so anyone has good techniques to memorise dates because I have a very low memory ability and I'm basically slowly dying inside especially with maths can any also help me with remembering the theory because once I revise it I forget it and also I got sooooo much topics I need to make notes on but instead I make flash cards for maths and in English we never even started a Christmas carol
can anybody help pls and i know i sound desprate lol
I don’t think this method would work but as your last and only choice, I would either :

1)Make up the dates using good estimations
2) instead of memorising dates let’s say 1846 1730 or whatnot just use ‘18th century’ or 19th century.
What school do you go by the way?
Original post by abdih037foodie1
so currently I'm in year 10 and I'm doing cold war and Germany at home and I cant seem to remember the dates and also im really screwed because we never even started Elizabethan England so anyone has good techniques to memorise dates because I have a very low memory ability and I'm basically slowly dying inside especially with maths can any also help me with remembering the theory because once I revise it I forget it and also I got sooooo much topics I need to make notes on but instead I make flash cards for maths and in English we never even started a Christmas carol
can anybody help pls and i know i sound desprate lol

Kinda boring and time consuming method but I remembered dates literally by writing out the events in chronological order with the dates next to them.
Oh and sometimes I changed my phone pin to a specific date that I was trying to remember.

But... with all that said, history is a lot more than remembering dates so don't get stressed that you can't remember them. Just pick a few (4-5) really key events and remember what year it was. It's more important to remember the order of the events than the year.
Don't worry about remembering the dates as long as you know where it is roughly (e.g. you wouldn't talk about nazi Germany in the early 20th century or late 19 century but you would talk about it being in the mid 20th century - a rough estimation is fine so you can contextually right). Learn the content for Elizabethan England first because the content at GCSE level is more important than statistics. The best way to memorise dates is making timelines so you can see the events happening in order. For theory, do you mean the content like what happened???
Original post by 14ahussain
I don’t think this method would work but as your last and only choice, I would either :

1)Make up the dates using good estimations
2) instead of memorising dates let’s say 1846 1730 or whatnot just use ‘18th century’ or 19th century.

I dont agree with your first point - you should not make up dates but leave it or just use vague dates like your second point, which I agree with

Original post by neko no basu
Kinda boring and time consuming method but I remembered dates literally by writing out the events in chronological order with the dates next to them.
Oh and sometimes I changed my phone pin to a specific date that I was trying to remember.

But... with all that said, history is a lot more than remembering dates so don't get stressed that you can't remember them. Just pick a few (4-5) really key events and remember what year it was. It's more important to remember the order of the events than the year.

That's a clever idea (with the phone pin). PRSOM I definitely agree with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending