The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I go behind a sofa, then before the 'I'm going down an escalator for the lolz' act.
"So Noel Edmonds naked eh?"
Reply 22
Richie90
hum the imperial march from star wars...
I sometimes do that aswell! :zomg:
Reply 23
"Did I tell you that I caught herpes?"

You should have seen her face.
"The bible is a load of *******s"

Ding, conversation's ready.
I go hmmm, and then laugh!
Reply 26
Awkward turtle, or "Well let's not all talk at once" :p:.
Reply 27
Simple. Just ignore it. It only becomes more awkward if you acknowledge it, so just wait until you have something to say lol.
Reply 28
I start babbling about random stuff/my life... a lot. Half way through they're usually that sick of my little stories they start talking :p:

Or I sit there in silence and go "awkwaaaaaaaard".
Lemons
I hum.

Same :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Animal sounds.
Reply 31
Demon_AS
Simple. Just ignore it. It only becomes more awkward if you acknowledge it, so just wait until you have something to say lol.

It's all very well just waiting for either urself or the other person to say something. However what if the awkward silence goes on for a lifetime? Then what to do? :confused:. Run awayyy from the person and hope they dont follow? :s-smilie: lol
Re-start the conversation, isn't this what everybody does?
Reply 33
I play a game of 'he/she who speaks first loses' and don't say a word.
Reply 34
Demon_AS

Yup i agree. Ignore it. Enjoy the silence...
By saying the first thing that comes to your head may
a) probobly be something stupid
b) the person will know you have said something meaningless to fill in an awkward silence, therefore establishing it is actually an awkward silence:p:

Watch the other person/people in the awkward silence, see how they react. Think of it as a social experiment :smile:
I burst into a naked rendition of "Scatman".

Always terminates the silence, however also sadly often terminates friendships, dignity, and being allowed back into that particular place ever again.

Must stop this before Uni, it's a terrible habit.
Reply 36
I get out my knitting.
Reply 37
EducatingBrogan
I burst into a naked rendition of "Scatman".

Always terminates the silence, however also sadly often terminates friendships, dignity, and being allowed back into that particular place ever again.

Must stop this before Uni, it's a terrible habit.

Would the awkward silence not appear after your rendition?
Reply 38
I'm unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) the type to continually talk nonstop about anything and everything so I usually avoid the awkward silences. This use to be a problem, however, insofar as to cause the people I was conversing with to feel uncomfortable and/or overwhelmed. Nowadays I've adopted a lesser approach, largely in part to all of these network conventions I'm attending lately.
Reply 39
I make the sinister echo type sounds from the Terminator movie... this usually leads to further awkward silences tho :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending