The Student Room Group

Do GCSE's matter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReadingMum
I know a yr 13 aiming for medicine who has not managed to get any offers due to gettin a B in English language - she just had a bad day. All other GCSEs are A/A* and she is predicted A*A*A* at A level but that B has killed it for her this time round.

I know someone too who was struggling to get into med school as they didn't have an A in English Language - they got into medicine at Exeter in the end as they will accept a C
Reply 41
Even if the actual grades won't matter for future uni/job applications, it's still very important to try your best to get as high a grade as you can. The stuff you learn at GCSE level is so important and if you put in the effort to learn and understand every fully then you will be in a very good place for A Levels, university etc.

GCSEs are so much more than a certificate to get your through an application and too many people on TSR forget this and give bad advice.
The importance of your GCSEs varies greatly depending on what course you wish to complete. If it's Oxford's medicine course, I have a feeling your grade profile at KS4 may play a major role in your admittance. However, I'm not so sure these results would be nearly as significant if you pursued a more vocational career.

The only thing that almost always plays a major factor, regardless of your career path, is a pass in both mathematics and English language.

- T. E.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Tolgash
The importance of your GCSEs varies greatly depending on what course you wish to complete. If it's Oxford's medicine course, I have a feeling your grade profile at KS4 will play quite the role in whether you get admitted. However, I'm not so sure these results would be nearly as significant if you pursuing a more vocational career.

The only thing that usually plays a major factor is a pass in both mathematics and English language.

- T. E.

okaay thank you im hoping to go into vet medicine :smile:
Original post by macy_m
okaay thank you im hoping to go into vet medicine :smile:

In that case, it will matter immensely. Fierce competition is commonplace in the admissions process of the discipline you wish to study. You'll want every relevant advantage that you can reasonably get.

- T. E.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending