The Student Room Group

Help, learnt to drive in a diesel, husband has bought me a petrol car

Exactly what the title says.
I passed my test in march this yr, 11wks ago before lock down. I was taught in a ford fiesta diesel, my husband has bought me a renault clio petrol. I absolutely love the car, but struggling and its causing me anxiety melt downs.
I took it out for the 1st time yesterday on my own, roads was quiet, and felt so proud of myself. Went out the 2nd time with my son and stalled at a roundabout. I know everyone stalls, but I had an anxiety melt down. I'm finding the clutch on my car is very high!!
What am I doing wrong??
I'm wishing I learnt in a petrol car as hearing so many different views on diesel and petrol cars since I've passed.
Do I need a diesel car because I learnt in a diesel?
I feel so upset as like anyone worked hard to pass my driving, and now I've passed I'm scared to now go back out.
Original post by Ershep1975
I passed my test in march this yr, 11wks ago before lock down. I was taught in a ford fiesta diesel, my husband has bought me a renault clio petrol. I absolutely love the car, but struggling and its causing me anxiety melt downs.
I took it out for the 1st time yesterday on my own, roads was quiet, and felt so proud of myself. Went out the 2nd time with my son and stalled at a roundabout. I know everyone stalls, but I had an anxiety melt down. I'm finding the clutch on my car is very high!!
What am I doing wrong??
I'm wishing I learnt in a petrol car as hearing so many different views on diesel and petrol cars since I've passed.
I feel so upset as like anyone worked hard to pass my driving, and now I've passed I'm scared to now go back out.

This isn't anything to do with a difference between petrol and diesel cars. So long as you remember to go to the green pump rather than the black one now, they are essentially interchangeable in terms of 'drivability'.

All cars have the biting point on the clutch in a slightly different place, and all cars drive 'differently'. You just need to get used to this new car - it takes everyone a little time :smile:
There’s really no difference, all you need to make sure you do is apply a small amount of gas/acceleration as you go pull off (a small you raise the clutch). I’m not sure whether you already did that in the diesel, I know you can pull off without the gas in a diesel, but if you already did that there isn’t literally no difference.
Reply 3
You've been taught to drive incorrectly by an incompetent driving instructor - don't worry, the vast majority are teaching poorly...

You need to give it some gas - it's really as simple as that. Don't try and move off just by releasing the clutch.. you will stall. If you give it plenty of gas you won't stall, but it may be rather noisy.

You'll soon learn the appropriate amount of gas to give it without making it sound like you're trying to reach orbital velocity.
Original post by Ershep1975
What am I doing wrong??

As Tom says above, instructors have a habit of teaching you how to drive their specific car, rather than the fundamentals of general driving and the adjustments you have to make for different vehicles.

I learnt in a Fiesta and in retrospect the engine was very forgiving with revs, (as well as having hill start assist!), so I was lazy with the gas pedal. Like yours, my first car had a much higher bite point so it was a recipe for disaster and I really struggled for my first week.

Ultimately it comes down to practice. Again, use more gas than you think you need, (over time you can reduce it a bit for different scenarios). The more you practice, the more muscle memory you will build for finding the bite. Before you know it, your foot will just gravitate to the right position.
I have never driven a petrol car, is it really that different? I’ve heard various opinions but no facts.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I have never driven a petrol car, is it really that different? I’ve heard various opinions but no facts.

I've driven both. No significant differences.

It is easier to stall petrol cars as they have less torque. Therefore you cant move off just by releasing the clutch like a diesel.

Go to a quiet place and practice, every car is different to drive and takes time to get used to it. Ive been driving diesel cars for the last 3 years, so if i was to drive a petrol car tomorow, i probably would stall aswell. Dont let it put you off driving, as once youve got the hang of it, it will be fine.
Reply 8
I don't know why so many people are saying they are the same they really aren't. A diesel engine has a higher torque, which means in this case it pulls away easier and can depend on more clutch and less acceleration to move off. In a petrol you need to give it a bit more pressure on the accelerator to get it going than in the equivalent diesel engine. I went from learning in a Fiesta to driving a 1.2 petrol Fiat, took me a few months to re-learn how to find a biting point.

Let it become a subconscious thing like the other elements of driving instead of something you are constantly thinking of, you'll soon adapt

being an old git and driven a whole range of things from 800 cc petrol city cars to 7.5 tonners, there is as much variation within 'petrol cars' as there is between petrol and diesel
Original post by A+B+C
I don't know why so many people are saying they are the same they really aren't. A diesel engine has a higher torque, which means in this case it pulls away easier and can depend on more clutch and less acceleration to move off. In a petrol you need to give it a bit more pressure on the accelerator to get it going than in the equivalent diesel engine. I went from learning in a Fiesta to driving a 1.2 petrol Fiat, took me a few months to re-learn how to find a biting point.

Let it become a subconscious thing like the other elements of driving instead of something you are constantly thinking of, you'll soon adapt

this is called 'being a driver , not a steering wheel operative'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending