The Student Room Group

Worried about HIV

My friends are telling me I’m silly and irrational but I have convinced myself that I have HIV and cannot get it off my mind. I am a 20 year old female at uni and have slept with a few boys since my last STD check (which came back negative). I have used a condom with the majority, apart from one which I know got checked before me and was negative. About a month ago I developed a rash which lasted a few weeks and disappeared. At the same time I also had a VERY slight sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. As I have health anxiety I googled HIV and these were e symptoms. Ever since I have not stopped thinking about it. Over a month has now passed since I had the rash and other symptoms. A few days ago, I developed a really bad sore throat, swollen tonsils which looks like tonsillitis, and also a cold sore. Again these being similar to HIV symptoms. However, I had a heavy night of drinking two days before so if I think rationally it could be that. Does anyone else get irrational thoughts about their health?I have done a postal STD test by the way and am waiting for the results which is the worst.
It's possible, just very unlikely if you used a condom. Sadly all you can do is wait for the test results which will hopefully give you some peace of mind, and try to keep it out of your mind :smile:
If you're worried that you have health anxiety more generally, especially if you often worry you have a serious illness, it could be worth talking to your GP or a phone mental health counselling service?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest