The Student Room Group

My parents are trying to force me to pay more rent

I'm trying to save up for a house with my bf but my parents are trying to make me pay more rent I am a key worker I give them £20 a month but they want double that now its not fair I need save up for stuff any advice?
If you don't want to give your parents any more of your money, just tell them that you can't afford to pay more.
They can't force you without resorting to illegality.

If you know that your parents are having financial problems you could help out by: doing your own shopping, cooking your meals and transferring the bills for services that only you use into your name so you pay the total bill.
I don't agree with parents asking their teenage or adult descendants for money- either as rent for their childhood bedroom or extra housekeeping.
£40 per month? They sound like absolute monsters!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm trying to save up for a house with my bf but my parents are trying to make me pay more rent I am a key worker I give them £20 a month but they want double that now its not fair I need save up for stuff any advice?

Clearly if you can't afford to give your parents £40pm, you can't really afford to be putting money away to save for a house
40 a month is not a lot
You probably easily earn that in one shift a month (depending on the length of your shift) so that much a month is quite fair. You are probably already saving a lot.
If you have a problem move out (but bare in mind rent will be upwards of 300 a month plus bills) depending where you are from
£20 a month probably doesnt even cover your utilities, another £20 is not much.

£240 a year is also not going to make a big difference for saving up for a house...
£40 rent?! Where do I sign up?
Reply 7

I get the impression you can afford it, so... pay it. £40 is an incredibly small amount to pay for a month's rent, and it's not like you could get a better deal elsewhere.
Can I move into your parents house? I'd happily pay them £40 a month. I'll pack my bags right now!
What does the £20 cover? do you buy your own food, toiletries and so on? £20 does not sound too much too me but depends on what you earn and what your expenses are.
Reply 10

you must be trolling?

I'm assuming you're working full time and complaining about £10 a week rent?

GTFO ... seriously

Troll.

But if this is true, find your own place to stay then. You won't have to pay your parents. Just your landlord, or towards your mortgage which would be more than £50 per month. Don't be unappreciative.
Just wow. Even if that was just to stay there that would be incredibly cheap but I suspect they pay for your food, household items, internet, TV, etc. You probably use £40 worth of electricity alone.

When you own your own place, you’ll pay £300-500 in rent then £50 on energy, £75 on council tax, £20 on just internet and you’ll lose your mind when you find out how much a weekly shop costs.

It’s post like these that put me off having children lol
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending