The Student Room Group

HELP: Border Force Apprenticeship 2020 Application

Im currently applying for the Border Force Apprenticeship but i am absolutely stumped on the 'personal statement' which should be aligned to:

“Imagine you are responsible for delivering a service accessed by the public. One day you notice that customers are queuing and are unhappy with the wait. What would you do? What are your reasons for handling it in this way?”

This is confusing to me because i'd understand a typical personal statement to be about you.

Should i:
Write a situation, task, action and result (STAR) type of statement answering only that question?
OR
Should i combine in a traditional personal statement about myself?

Thank you in advance for any help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm answering the same application right now, too!Its a difficult question because its not the typical
Reply 2
Hey! Did you answer this? Im stuck on what to do. do you put a past example or say what you would do?
Reply 3
Original post by Imoutrey
I'm answering the same application right now, too!Its a difficult question because its not the typical

Original post by bahah12
Hey! Did you answer this? Im stuck on what to do. do you put a past example or say what you would do?

Honestly i am still none of the wiser as to whats even expected from this question!? I've gave a past example of customer service and i'm going to also answer their question but not sure if thats right... What have you both gone for?
Reply 4
Original post by Jess4935
Honestly i am still none of the wiser as to whats even expected from this question!? I've gave a past example of customer service and i'm going to also answer their question but not sure if thats right... What have you both gone for?

ill private message you
Hi there, has anyone heard back from Border Force since the vacancy closed last week?
Reply 6
Original post by jackryhoff
Hi there, has anyone heard back from Border Force since the vacancy closed last week?

I remember on the application it said sift was 20th July so well find out after that. As i understand i think they sit down for a week review the applications in one day
Reply 7
Guy which locations did you apply for? I am also waiting for an answer for Tilbury location. Good luck to all of us🤞
Reply 8
All day waiting today😀is killing. Would love yes or not not to wait anymore.
Reply 9
Had no reply so far - anyone had a response yet? (20th July) Dover - Folkestone - Tilbury were my choices- good luck all
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
No nothing here as well. Probably another week or so for a reply. As they said interviews will be from 3rd of August. If anyone gets Tilbury let me know😁I live here
I’ve also applied for the June 2020 intake! I’m glad I’m not the only one sat waiting😂 by the sounds of previous applicants we may be waiting a while!
Reply 12
Still no reply here too - I applied for Goole, Hull & Grimsby. Praying to hear back soon...

Original post by Jane01
No nothing here as well. Probably another week or so for a reply. As they said interviews will be from 3rd of August. If anyone gets Tilbury let me know😁I live here

Where did you see that interviews would be from the 3rd?
Reply 13
Original post by Jess4935
Still no reply here too - I applied for Goole, Hull & Grimsby. Praying to hear back soon...

Where did you see that interviews would be from the 3rd?

You can find it in the 3rd attachment when you go to your application civil jobs account.
Reply 14
Going by previous campaigns on old threads it looks like it’s going to be a long, drawn out process! Fingers crossed for a quicker response for everyone 🤞
Reply 15
Original post by LJM02
Going by previous campaigns on old threads it looks like it’s going to be a long, drawn out process! Fingers crossed for a quicker response for everyone 🤞

Yes around 3 months for an interview and 6-12 months for start of paperwork(but also is depends on location, as you saw before people with lower scores also contacted 🤞).
Reply 16
Original post by Jane01
Yes around 3 months for an interview and 6-12 months for start of paperwork(but also is depends on location, as you saw before people with lower scores also contacted 🤞).

Yes location definitely plays a part. I applied for Glasgow or Edinburgh. My sister also applied for these locations on an April 2018 campaign - she was successful on application and interview, yet still sitting on a reserve list 2yrs later. Perhaps there will be more movement now with Brexit looming!
Reply 17
Original post by LJM02
Yes location definitely plays a part. I applied for Glasgow or Edinburgh. My sister also applied for these locations on an April 2018 campaign - she was successful on application and interview, yet still sitting on a reserve list 2yrs later. Perhaps there will be more movement now with Brexit looming!

Oh nooo 2 years🙄 I am really hoping to start this year if successful🤞working in aviation for 13 years, really need a change now. Wish everyone good luck guys and very quick job placements.
Reply 18
Original post by LJM02

Seems odd they are even interviewing when they have people still waiting to start after 2 years ?
Reply 19
Original post by Kinger
Seems odd they are even interviewing when they have people still waiting to start after 2 years ?

Sure is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending