The Student Room Group

Question about Christianity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toscana
Bro I’m a noob, I barely know anything about christianity. I’ve only seen some overviews of the gospels

I understand :smile:

Go to post #912.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481986&page=46
Original post by Toscana
Yeah I guess the only thing that matters is the belief in god, Jesus and that he died for our sins

Vicarious redemption through human sacrifice.

I've never understood why God couldn't forgive mankind for breaking his rules, without his son / himself having to be tortured to death. In addition, he is claimed to know the future, so he knew that his rules would be broken when he made them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon

I've never understood why God couldn't forgive mankind for breaking his rules, without his son / himself having to be tortured to death. In addition, he is claimed to know the future, so he knew that his rules would be broken when he made them.

Don't start Roger!
Original post by trapking
Don't start Roger!

It's a genuine observation - it makes no sense.
It's a genuine observation - it makes no sense.

it makes no sense because you cannot see it.

He sent Jesus so that we can be saved from the sin that's making us break those rules. Jesus already knew well in advance he was going to be crucified, it was to fulfil a prophecy.
Reply 25

I thought this was to open the gates of heaven to those who have sinned. Jesus had to be crucified so that we sinful could enter heaven which doesn’t put God’s omnipotence or omniscience to question. I can’t really remember all that much though. There is always that saying that God works in mysterious ways, we can’t really know or understand it or assume it’s thought processes.
Original post by Corps
I thought this was to open the gates of heaven to those who have sinned. Jesus had to be crucified so that we sinful could enter heaven which doesn’t put God’s omnipotence or omniscience to question.

Sorry, but it still doesn't make any sense. Let's leave it there for this thread.
Original post by Corps
There is always that saying that God works in mysterious ways, we can’t really know or understand it or assume it’s thought processes.

That's the usual cop-out, when religion is plain illogical.
it makes no sense because you cannot see it.

Or there is no sense there ..

He sent Jesus so that we can be saved from the sin that's making us break those rules. Jesus already knew well in advance he was going to be crucified, it was to fulfil a prophecy.

Given the whole father / son confusion, it sounds a lot like masochism. Anyway, let's leave it there for this thread.
Reply 28
The deity of Jesus Christ is beyond question he is what he said he was the Son of God, incarnate for a short period in human form for the suffering of death.

May I ask have you actually received what all his disciples received at Pentecost? (Acts 2v4)
How did I know this thread would be derailed in this manner? My psychic powers are growing :devil:

@Toscana , I wish you the very best of luck with your search. I don't know much about the Eastern Orthodox church but it's definitely worth going with your friend and finding out a bit more.

If you have any particular questions regarding Roman Catholicism, do feel free to ask me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending