The Student Room Group

HELP - car insurance!!

So I'm a first time driver and am looking to buy a car.
I've been doing quotes for the car I would like to buy on car insurance policies.
But I am so confused about whether SMART/Cosmetic Insurance Policy is included? I can't see anywhere underneath each quote if a Cosmetic Insurance Policy is included.

I was going to just go with what the dealership are offering which is £399 GAP and SMART insurance for 23 months (I'm financing).
I'm in two minds about going with this because:
- I've checked GAP on it's own and it's cheaper than what the guy is offering
- SMART only covers scuffs, scratches and dents
- Not to mention ^ it's £10 per claim

I'm stuck so if someone could help me with making a decision, that would be great!!
Reply 1
Original post by 21ForEva
I've been doing quotes for the car I would like to buy on car insurance policies.
But I am so confused about whether SMART/Cosmetic Insurance Policy is included? I can't see anywhere underneath each quote if a Cosmetic Insurance Policy is included.

I was going to just go with what the dealership are offering which is £399 GAP and SMART insurance for 23 months (I'm financing).

I'm stuck so if someone could help me with making a decision, that would be great!!

Um... you're confusing some crappy upsells from a dealership with car insurance...

I think..?

Usually if it doesn't say it's incldued, it's more than likely not included...

The best way is to ring the insurer and ask what it covers and ask if you can get an optional extra which covers this.
Original post by IWMTom
Um... you're confusing some crappy upsells from a dealership with car insurance...

I think..?

Yeah I think they are haha.
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yeah I think they are haha.

Such a weird question lol
Reply 5

I have a car on finance, so here is what I did. I didn't get my GAP insurance from the dealership, and instead got it online for £200 cheaper. SMART insurance isn't an actual thing, to me it just sounds like a name they have given to their cosmetic insurance (scratches, dents, etc). I personally didn't get this as I didn't think it was needed and if there is any damage, I will pay whatever fee they charge me, when I give it back. (I say pay, but I will be exchanging, so will just come off the part-ex value).

Hope this helps you.
Reply 6
Original post by Joshkav
I have a car on finance, so here is what I did. I didn't get my GAP insurance from the dealership, and instead got it online for £200 cheaper. SMART insurance isn't an actual thing, to me it just sounds like a name they have given to their cosmetic insurance (scratches, dents, etc). I personally didn't get this as I didn't think it was needed and if there is any damage, I will pay whatever fee they charge me, when I give it back. (I say pay, but I will be exchanging, so will just come off the part-ex value).

Hope this helps you.

Thanks so much for the advice - really helped.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Such a weird question lol

How is it a weird question?
I'm a first time buyer - no question, is a "weird" or stupid question if you don't know what something means.
I got my answer from @Joshkav - if it was such a weird question then he wouldn't have responded with the answer I needed.
Reply 8

I think..?

Crappy upsells? GAP and Cosmetic Insurance Policy doesn't seem "crappy" to me after reading about what it includes. I just needed to see what other people's views are on it to help me make a decision.
(edited 3 years ago)
Crappy upsells? GAP and Cosmetic Insurance Policy doesn't seem "crappy" to me after reading about what it includes. I just needed to see what other people's views are on it to help me make a decision.

They are widely seen as upselling, whether they are worth it to you is a personal decision. Here's some info:

Money Saving Expert - Gap insurance: Do you need it?

What Car - Is buying scratch and dent insurance on a new car worth it?

If you do decide to get either, I'd shop around rather than just getting whatever the dealer is pushing.
Reply 10

You can always get better cover at a cheaper price outside of the dealer, hence crappy upsell.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
You can always get better cover at a cheaper price outside of the dealer, hence crappy upsell.

Original post by Admit-One
They are widely seen as upselling, whether they are worth it to you is a personal decision. Here's some info:

Money Saving Expert - Gap insurance: Do you need it?

What Car - Is buying scratch and dent insurance on a new car worth it?

If you do decide to get either, I'd shop around rather than just getting whatever the dealer is pushing.

I did my research
I wanted to know other people’s take on it as well
But all is well - I made my decision and bought the car I wanted
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending