The Student Room Group

Personnel Support Officer for Older Joiners

Hi I am just about to go into my 3rd year at university to get a degree in Psychology and Counselling. I am 31 and married with two children currently 6 and 4. I am wanting to join up as a Personnel Support Officer but unsure what support I will be given for my family in the early days of joining. I am from Navy background with my dad doing 30 years and my husband leaving 7 years ago after doing 11 years (made redundant) but obviously neither of them were female with a family when they joined. How would basic training work?
Also I have read online about the job role of Personnel Support Officer and the roles- where are they normally based and is it generally married accompanied?
thanks
You are treated the same as everyone else and can be posted anywhere the service requires.

Most postings will have SFA for married families though Pers tend to do 18-24 month tours.
Reply 2
Hi Kanga, while you have the benefits of maturity, and a good family background of service life, being directly involved in the RAF is likely to be a whole new experience.

Without knowing the specifics of your family set up, it's not really possible for someone other than service HR or recruitment professionals to give you the most up to date advice on current policies which are likely to affect you throughout training and your foundation tour. I would therefore wait for @RAF_Adam to respond to your queries directly.

However, without stealing his thunder, I would advise that service life during Phase 1 and Phase 2 training is pretty full on for most young joiners without commitments. Add in the complication of an existing family life, and it is bound to sap your energy and provide distractions.

But I wish you good luck in your ambition. If all goes well, you could well find yourself being the 'go to person' for all types of HR and professional queries, as well as having to sort out complex personal issues 24/7. You will be well trained for it, but you'll have to be constantly on the ball.
Original post by kangacanjump
Hi I am just about to go into my 3rd year at university to get a degree in Psychology and Counselling. I am 31 and married with two children currently 6 and 4. I am wanting to join up as a Personnel Support Officer but unsure what support I will be given for my family in the early days of joining. I am from Navy background with my dad doing 30 years and my husband leaving 7 years ago after doing 11 years (made redundant) but obviously neither of them were female with a family when they joined. How would basic training work?
Also I have read online about the job role of Personnel Support Officer and the roles- where are they normally based and is it generally married accompanied?
thanks

Hi

During your phase one training (IOT) then you will only get time off between the four terms. However, whether you get to go home to see your family can depend on how you're doing on the course and how the rest of the course is doing. But over the six months you will get time to go home. And if you're there during the summer or Christmas periods then there will be block leave that the whole station will take etc.

You won't be eligible for married quarters until you're posted to your first job after phase two training, because the phase two course isn't long enough. Once you're posted you and your family will be able to live on station, or you can choose to live off station if you wish. Or you can commute and live on station during the week if you'd rather live in your current family home and go home at weekends etc.

As for postings, you will be posted anywhere the RAF requires you to be at the time of your posting, which could be anywhere in the UK or around the world. Officer postings are normally two years, but can be a bit less or slightly more. In between that you could be operationally deployed too, which could be for a maximum of four months.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Hi Mods anyone know why there's a 'content warning' pinned to this thread? Seems like a perfectly reasonable and polite thread to me. I may be missing a subliminal message of course 😲

Quick Reply

Latest