The Student Room Group

Grant for being first in the family to going uni

Hello,
Ive heard that you can get a grant or bursary for being the first person in your family to go to university and I was wondering where you apply to get this extra funding? Im applying to do Radiography at BCU (Birmingham city uni) if that helps
Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by LouyLou
Hello,
Ive heard that you can get a grant or bursary for being the first person in your family to go to university and I was wondering where you apply to get this extra funding? Im applying to do Radiography at BCU (Birmingham city uni) if that helps

I might go to that Uni, apparently it is a bad uni.
Original post by LouyLou
Hello,

A first-generation student grant is offered by some universities, so contact BCU to see if they offer one.
Reply 3
Original post by OptiWeight
I might go to that Uni, apparently it is a bad uni.

Where did you hear about it being a bad uni? I saw some Google reviews but idk how accurate those are because my college had some bad reviews but I really liked my college
Original post by LouyLou
Where did you hear about it being a bad uni? I saw some Google reviews but idk how accurate those are because my college had some bad reviews but I really liked my college

I live in Birmingham, between Uob and Aston Uni, BCU is quite bad. BCU attracts Chavs because most of their course requirement of low, similar with their BTEC requirements so they wont be able to attend the other Uni and BCU is their only choice. Their course are quite basic, meaning their degree are basically pointless (imagine if your employers notice you studied at BCU). Most of their course are not accredited, their placed 84 in the league table! The proof's in the pudding!
Reply 5
I live in Birmingham, between Uob and Aston Uni, BCU is quite bad. BCU attracts Chavs because most of their course requirement of low, similar with their BTEC requirements so they wont be able to attend the other Uni and BCU is their only choice. Their course are quite basic, meaning their degree are basically pointless (imagine if your employers notice you studied at BCU). Most of their course are not accredited, their placed 84 in the league table! The proof's in the pudding!

Damn that sucks to hear, I want to go to BCU since it's the closest uni to me that does radiography, at least I have plenty of time to change my mind since I'm applying for SEP 2021
As someone who goes there I can tell you that the facilities are amazing . Its only because it's considered a 'party uni' that gives it a bad rep. Hope you enjoy first year !
Original post by LouyLou
Damn that sucks to hear, I want to go to BCU since it's the closest uni to me that does radiography, at least I have plenty of time to change my mind since I'm applying for SEP 2021

Yeah I'm sorry but that's the truth, i live half n hour away from BCU don't go there its really badd, i won't. Try to go Aston its a much better Uni and its literally 2 mins from BCU (millennium point campus).
Reply 8
Yeah I'm sorry but that's the truth, i live half n hour away from BCU don't go there its really badd, i won't. Try to go Aston its a much better Uni and its literally 2 mins from BCU (millennium

Aston doesn't do the course I want to do so I guess I have to learn how to drive, for my course it's at the city South campus so maybe there won't be any chavs
Reply 9
Original post by AlwaysBliss
As someone who goes there I can tell you that the facilities are amazing . Its only because it's considered a 'party uni' that gives it a bad rep. Hope you enjoy first year !

Do you go to the main campus or city South campus?
Original post by LouyLou
Aston doesn't do the course I want to do so I guess I have to learn how to drive, for my course it's at the city South campus so maybe there won't be any chavs

You can always try a Open evening you got plenty of time, when Cornavirus decides to go away
Original post by LouyLou

IMO league tables don't matter for radiography - radiography and healthcare courses used to be delivered at FE colleges that got 'tidied up' into some nearby uni pretty much at random.

things are changing wrt financial support for healthcare courses https://iseethedifference.co.uk/the-recent-bursary-for-health-courses-explained/ and you might not be in the same boat as people doing generic humanities degrees etc. You'll need to keep an eye on uni websites.
Reply 12
Original post by Joinedup
IMO league tables don't matter for radiography - radiography and healthcare courses used to be delivered at FE colleges that got 'tidied up' into some nearby uni pretty much at random.

things are changing wrt financial support for healthcare courses https://iseethedifference.co.uk/the-recent-bursary-for-health-courses-explained/ and you might not be in the same boat as people doing generic humanities degrees etc. You'll need to keep an eye on uni websites.

Okay, thanks for the advise
Original post by LouyLou

I heard BCU is actually pretty good when it comes to health sciences such as paramedicine and radiography. With a course like radiography, due to the shortage of radiographers the NHS is facing, you’re pretty much guaranteed a job by the time you finish. I’d say look at the reviews on ucas for the uni, whether you like the course and it’s structure and how how you are assessed, don’t fuss too much abt rankings. I of course wouldn’t say the same for other degrees such as economics where going to certain unis will drastically affect opportunities, employability etc. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by bimbibap
I heard BCU is actually pretty good when it comes to health sciences such as paramedicine and radiography. With a course like radiography, due to the shortage of radiographers the NHS is facing, you’re pretty much guaranteed a job by the time you finish. I’d say look at the reviews on ucas for the uni, whether you like the course and it’s structure and how how you are assessed, don’t fuss too much abt rankings. I of course wouldn’t say the same for other degrees such as economics where going to certain unis will drastically affect opportunities, employability etc. Good luck!

Okay Ill keep that in mind and check out the reviews on ucas, thank you for the advice

Why make a statement on a Uni that you havent attended, you are basically judging it by looks and the type of people going. Also BCU offers lots of great courses that are actually pretty rare in other institutions. Plus its not always about rankings!! Im going to BCU to do a degree in Building Surveying, this course isnt at many unis and it is accredited by the RICS so therefore it stands as much chance as others in the same field. Most unis have bad rep but its entirely on courses. Some courses may be better at one uni compared to another.

It seems that you are against it without even studying there, visiting it or looking round the facilities. Off you pop to Aston, may i ask what you might study there? Is it also a meaningless degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending