The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
lotusx
i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate physics.
officially and forever.
you know, my friend who's applying for PPE sent off her application on friday and has already got an offer from Manchester.
i wish medicine was like that!

yeah, people from my school have offers for history and chemistry already. it would be sooo nice to be applying for a course where you're pretty likely to get at least one offer somewhere, and it's more about getting an offer from your top choice, rather than just any offer at all....
that said, i wouldn't change what i was applying for ::p:
UKCAT tomorrow guys.. :frown:
Im frantically trying to practice for it now!
Just thinking about it is making my palms sweaty! :frown:
I have my UKCAT tomorow as well. 12.30, and I'm terrified. It's so long, I'm worried I'm going to start to lose my concentration halfway through... :P
xylophonefairy
I have my UKCAT tomorow as well. 12.30, and I'm terrified. It's so long, I'm worried I'm going to start to lose my concentration halfway through... :P

Mine's at 3.00pm.. Good luck!
Have you practiced much?
Is it just me who find these questions frustratingly impossible?! :frown:
Reply 584
Good luck Sprout_hair!

My application officially got sent of today!
Yayyyyyyyyness.
Need to get my letter so I can get on to track and become addicted :biggrin:
And also, I have to started learning everything about medicine for interviews [hopefully!] since I know nothing at the moment :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 585
xylophonefairy

Hahah, that happened to me.
I found myself wondering why my nails were painted such a horrible colour and what I should change it to when I got home :rolleyes:
And then I did another question. And then wondered what I was going to do on Saturday and then I wondered why I was losing my concentration and then I wondered why I was talking to myself in my head in the middle of a very important test. And then I panicked and hit my knee on the desk, causing the whole room to fidget in their seats:o:

I was really ill though :yep:
Reply 586
Mine is sent now! :biggrin:

Now to start worrying about interviews.... eeek!
Reply 587
im freaking about my UKCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2moz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooooo scarrrrreeeeddd!

im sending off my application v soon i hope eek
blip
im freaking about my UKCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2moz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooooo scarrrrreeeeddd!

im sending off my application v soon i hope eek

SAAMMEE!
What time have you got yours?
I STILL havent done the online practice questions!! :frown:
Sprout_hair
Mine's at 3.00pm.. Good luck!
Have you practiced much?
Is it just me who find these questions frustratingly impossible?! :frown:

I haven't managed to get through a whole test yet without getting bored or it switching itself off because I've run out of time...

As such I've got a lot of practice down on the Verbal Reasoning (which I think I'm okayish at) and Quantitative Reasoning (which should be alright, I'm pretty mathsy but I don't see how being able to analyse a train timetable really has anything to do with me being a good doctor in the future...).

Has anyone else had this problem with the practice tests from the website, and if you run out of time in the real thing does it end the whole test (a la the website ones) or does it just end the section?
Reply 590
xylophonefairy
Has anyone else had this problem with the practice tests from the website, and if you run out of time in the real thing does it end the whole test (a la the website ones) or does it just end the section?

Just ends the section you're currently doing. Also i had the same problem when practising, i can only remember doing one or two practice sections within the time limit lol. Tbh, from personal experience i found the real thing much easier than the questions on the website. I think you kinda rise to the occasion when its the real thing.:yep:
Got 685 average! :woo:

Started off badly when I was taken into the room and shown to computer number 13 lol.

Verbal - 700
Quantitative - 690
Abstract - 690
Decision - 660

So I got progressively worse as the test went on, but if Leicester take my lowest score of 660 then I'm still very happy!

Also, I guessed at least half of the Quantitative section. Literally, I was on like, question 23 with about 2 minutes left, and went through randomly clicking the options. Spent too long on a stupid horrible question about taxation that made no sense at all.
xylophonefairy

Started off badly when I was taken into the room and shown to computer number 13 lol.

Verbal - 700
Quantitative - 690
Abstract - 690
Decision - 660

So I got progressively worse as the test went on, but if Leicester take my lowest score of 660 then I'm still very happy!

Also, I guessed at least half of the Quantitative section. Literally, I was on like, question 23 with about 2 minutes left, and went through randomly clicking the options. Spent too long on a stupid horrible question about taxation that made no sense at all.

Well done.. :smile: Wow you did so well..
I did not so well with only 625 but just feeling so good that i dont have to worry about it anymore!
I lost my concentration after about 30 minutes though..
And yeaah.. i pretty much guessed all of quantitative. Im not sure HOW they mark these things!!
Reply 593
xylophonefairy

Verbal - 700
Quantitative - 690
Abstract - 690
Decision - 660

Wow well done! I hope I can do just as well when I do mine tomorrow ...I'm getting nervous now as I seem to be getting ~55-65% in practice questions from the book :frown:

Did you manage to finish all the verbal reasoning questions? I seem to always run out of time with that section.
Asthenia
Wow well done! I hope I can do just as well when I do mine tomorrow ...I'm getting nervous now as I seem to be getting ~55-65% in practice questions from the book :frown:

Did you manage to finish all the verbal reasoning questions? I seem to always run out of time with that section.

Good luck for tomorrow!:biggrin:
Sprout_hair
Well done.. :smile: Wow you did so well..
I did not so well with only 625 but just feeling so good that i dont have to worry about it anymore!
I lost my concentration after about 30 minutes though..
And yeaah.. i pretty much guessed all of quantitative. Im not sure HOW they mark these things!!

l swear you don't get anywhere NEAR enough time in the QR section, it's keraazy! Maybe if I'd have done more practice of quick fire percentages? Maybe also because I'm so sused to a scientific calculator and there were a couple of times I had to go back and reinput numbers because obviously I couldn't replay them or anything - mucho annoyance!

Asthenia

Yes! I was quite surprised but I didn't have a lot of time to review. It was the section I was dreading second most, then I managed to wangle 700 in it. I had some really nastily long passages though. Advice for VR:
> Always look for words like "all", as when it's in a question it can often be countered by something in the passage like "usually". And vice versa.
> Look for numbers, and how they're used. Often a question will state a number, and people might click true because they see the number, but it's in the wrong context.

Other advice:
> In the quantitative section, write down all the numbers you get as answers, especially if you're used to a scientific calculator. I kept having to redo bits of questions.
> If you get horrible percentage questions guess, mark them, and move on, quickly. Don't spend more then 30 seconds on each question. I got very very lucky on my QR section, guessing most of it (I've just been out to buy a lottery ticket). It's almost worth moving quickly through, anwering those you can do quickly, then going back and revieweing the ones you haven't done yet. Put in guesses as you go through though, and mark them, just in case you run out of time.
> Try to relax as much as you can, but work quickly. It's very quiet in the room and not easy to get distracted.

Umm, can't think of anything else...
Well done on UKCAT! And good luck to people for tomorrow! My UCAS form will be sent off either tomorrow or monday probably! Eek! Does anyone know the process of it, like how long it takes to hear from unis or how long it takes for you to know anything about it?
Reply 597
Thanks so much for the tips xylophonefairy :smile:

I can't wait to get this out of the way now!
Reply 598
Calumcalum
Well done on UKCAT! And good luck to people for tomorrow! My UCAS form will be sent off either tomorrow or monday probably! Eek! Does anyone know the process of it, like how long it takes to hear from unis or how long it takes for you to know anything about it?

I was wondering about this too but it seems like UCAS don't take long to process it as my school sent off my application yesterday afternoon and on the apply screen it said my it has been processed by UCAS.
Though I read somewhere in a thread that it takes some time (a few weeks) for it to arrive to the medicine admissions tutor as it gets sent first to the university before it's passed onto the relevant department. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Asthenia
I was wondering about this too but it seems like UCAS don't take long to process it as my school sent off my application yesterday afternoon and on the apply screen it said my it has been processed by UCAS.
Though I read somewhere in a thread that it takes some time (a few weeks) for it to arrive to the medicine admissions tutor as it gets sent first to the university before it's passed onto the relevant department. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Ah right okay, I just know that as soon as I get mine sent off I'll be moaning and impatiently waiting for replies and stuff! I'm like that. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending