The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6320
Medicine Man
It seems to me that no one plays the timpani drums or the drum kit like i do!! Its quite fun, especially those really really long rests you get in the middle of a piece - some go on for 100 or so bars!!!!! :tongue: Ridiculous, yet quite fun when that means you get to have a nice chat with the other percussionists in the orchestra, whereas other cant. :tongue:

I didn't quite like Jazz music till i was 15/16 years. But now, I'm quite a big fan of it; for a recent concert, we played a few Jazz numbers - Duke Ellington - Caravan, Lulluby of Broadway, Autumn Leaves - BRILLIANT MUSIC, THAT!! :love: :love:

Stopped all my music practice for the moment though until exams are over. Last summer we got to tour in Belgium, but this year I think I'll pass on our schools trip to Bath :lolwut: ; would much rather prefer to spend the holidays attempting to pull some girls with my mates, than with my sad, sad, sad conductor!! :tongue:

Haha - you're a funny guy, MedMan!
Reply 6321
FFCrusader
Try me :tongue:

I'm guessing.... 42 PMs? :awesome:

I think altogether, it's a little more than that - but you're close enough! :smile:

Here, you get your e-cookie! *Passes cookie through virtual world* :tongue:
Reply 6322
OriginofSymmetry
I hate people.

You'll make such a charming doctor, I'm sure!
ADREAM
You'll make such a charming doctor, I'm sure!

Thank you. Although, I'm not sure where people come into that. I'm going to be a surgeon. Don't have to talk to them that way.
Reply 6324
OriginofSymmetry
Thank you. Although, I'm not sure where people come into that. I'm going to be a surgeon. Don't have to talk to them that way.

Hahahaha - I lol'd at this!
ADREAM
Hahahaha - I lol'd at this!

I aim to please.
OriginofSymmetry

Assuming they don't wake up. :biggrin:

(Although then it's more a case of screaming at them :ninja:)
jonnyofengland
I got ten just for posting my UKCAT score. :colonhash:

Argh, I got a whole torrent from that too.

I ended up putting a whole 'UKCAT guide' on my profile... and people still kept PMing me!!

I mean, seriously, open your eyes! The world won't spoonfeed you all the way through life!
Myoclonic Jerk
Argh, I got a whole torrent from that too.

I ended up putting a whole 'UKCAT guide' on my profile... and people still kept PMing me!!

I mean, seriously, open your eyes! The world won't spoonfeed you all the way through life!

Probably they've been spoonfed throughout life by their parents and their school and want us all to do the same.

Well it's not going to happen :mad: I ignored the PM asking for "tips" for the UCL interview. :cool:
dilipd
are any of you really beginning to get fed up with the lower sixth applying to medicine for 2010 entry. my ex-sixth form asked me to give a presentation to them on friday due to my situation with offers and interviews etc. Th minute i walked in the room they asked me a million questions that could be answered by reading prospecti. Every other kid seems to be applying to medicine aswell. I love medicine, don't get me worng, but it is so annoying when kids don't realise the amount of other jobs out there - i could tell clearly that there were probably aboutt 30% who had a true passion and the others were kids who just want it for the respect and all that rubbish. these are the types of uncommitted people that apply to medicine and i really wish they would give others a chance

I know what you mean about the majority of AS-ers not even wanting to do medicine that much, and being really uncommited. It annoyed me when I went to talks and things like that to see that most people hadn't even bothered to do a bit of research themselves, or even make the effort to start looking for work experience placements, but despite that making up every excuse for them not doing so... :mad:

However, I do get some kind of sad pleasure out of helping potential applicants with their queries, because I know how it feels to be in their position as I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. People were there to help me then, so why shouldn't I go on to help others?

PM's about interview questions though infuriate me. For the record: Yes, I will tell you a general feel of the day, what the interviewers and atmosphere was liek etc etc, but I WILL NOT TELL YOU ANY QUESTIONS THAT I WAS ASKED!!!! It's unfair on me, and it's unfair on whoever is asking. I went in there with no idea what to expect, and quite frankly you should too because the interviewers want you to think on your feet, not churn out some pre-learned and perfected answer! :mad:

Okay, rant over :tongue:
today I got my Peninsula letter... lol... dated 12th of January... Oh the post is so fast
Reply 6331
cucumber sandwich
today I got my Peninsula letter... lol... dated 12th of January... Oh the post is so fast

I live in Japan, and got my Manchester interview invitation and essential documents 1 whole month after I went all the way to England to attend the interview..

Thank god for e-mails...
Reply 6332
Jessaay!
That annoys me too. I refuse to help them if they're like that. It's sort of like "well, do you realise it's a 5-6 year course and a hard career path afterwards". But you can bet when they get their AS results they'll be filtered out of the system. Lazy sods. I never went to any of those little "talks" at my school because I thought, well, whatever they say I probably already knew anyway. My form tutor kept telling me "it's competitive and a career basically for life, it won't be easy" and it's like, no ****!

I also get annoyed by some current applicants as well. The other day I got a PM from someone here saying "congrats on your UCL interview, hope it went well, any tips for me?". I refuse to give interview tips to many people on principle. For one thing it's not fair on current applicants giving some an advantage over others, and also if I didn't get in I could be giving information which only applies to my case. Plus, the cheek! I can obviously tell that they're lazy and refuse to find the information for themselves on the types of interview questions from the student wiki, and the fact they only inserted a generic "friendly" type comment before they started to grill me for information just annoyed me. I may have helped them if I knew them or felt otherwise inclined to help them, but that sort of attitude disgusts me. :mad:

I completely agree with what you have said here.

There was one current applicant who asked me how she should prepare for her Bristol interview. After speaking to her and some of the other current applicants it became clear to me that she had been pushed into it by her chemistry teacher. The other current applicants told me that she had no idea baout course structures and that bristol was her last choice and she only applied to fill up a gap and more importantly her tutor had literally written the whole ps and organised w/e for her and all that stuff. apparently this applicant only decided she was going into med 2 weeks before oct 15th and was boasting to me how she had got 3 interviews by now. When i said to her that med is not a bed of roses and you will be covering whole modules in biology in 2 lectures she said "don't tell me any of this - i have my interview tomorrow". at the end of the day she is deluding herself and if any of her choices are stupid enough to take her on, they will lose out because this kid wont even last through first yr. You would think admissions tutors would see through this person but apparently not. the worst thing is that this applicant has appllied to soton and could get accepted due to their no interview policy. I feel incensed by ths applicant and i hope to god that they see through this incredibly arrogant, rude brat

If any of the 30% who are genuinely enthusiastic about medicine want any help i will give it to them, to ease them through the hell that is UCAS. i am more than willing to provide them with answers but I feel that at 17/18 you should be amking your own choices about your future career and not letting teachers/peers tell you you can or cant do something. I also feel that it is important to make a well informed choice about medicine and to know all the facts before applying. I think i will have to make an appearance around about this time next year when *hopefully* the decent applicants have got somewhere with their apps.
Reply 6333
oh joy of ucas track. :P
updated : unsucessful for Edinburgh AND unsuccessful for UCL.

i had a shock. haha was only expecting Edinburgh ... oh well.
i guess i have to do well on my imperial interview :]]

and i ALREADY got my edinburgh feedback... i sent a reply on friday. wow they are fast.
they said i got a high score for my academics,
average score for my non-academics,
top 25% for my UKCAT. . .

*sigh* i suppose that it's my non-academics. . . . :s-smilie:
Reply 6334
So sorry, Hyeree. :sad:
Reply 6335
scaryhair
I know what you mean about the majority of AS-ers not even wanting to do medicine that much, and being really uncommited. It annoyed me when I went to talks and things like that to see that most people hadn't even bothered to do a bit of research themselves, or even make the effort to start looking for work experience placements, but despite that making up every excuse for them not doing so... :mad:

However, I do get some kind of sad pleasure out of helping potential applicants with their queries, because I know how it feels to be in their position as I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. People were there to help me then, so why shouldn't I go on to help others?

PM's about interview questions though infuriate me. For the record: Yes, I will tell you a general feel of the day, what the interviewers and atmosphere was liek etc etc, but I WILL NOT TELL YOU ANY QUESTIONS THAT I WAS ASKED!!!! It's unfair on me, and it's unfair on whoever is asking. I went in there with no idea what to expect, and quite frankly you should too because the interviewers want you to think on your feet, not churn out some pre-learned and perfected answer! :mad:

Okay, rant over :tongue:

yep the whole asking for interview questions infuriates me - it's like they're trying to push us out and at the end of the day it makes them look so siily. if icould rule the world i would have it so that applicants were under a spell after having interviews so they dont leak questions out - it makes it so difficult for everyone involved and the worst part is that they dont relaise it
As for the L6th applicants, I detest them. They act as if they know more than me. One claimed that I wouldn't hear from Edinburgh until March, should have seen their face when I told them I had heard from them. Another is trying to get a certificate for doing over 1000 hours of volunteering, just so he can put it on his PS. You have to apply for this certificate too. Who would do that? Volunteering has never been a selfless thing has it?... Am I the only one who would do it, even without applying to medical school?
Reply 6337
DrDomDom
Hyeree, that sucks! What time did you get the email?

I wonder where they're at with everyone else: Im not looking forward to UCL getting back to me now...

which one?

haha thanks guys. but well i was expecting it anyway :tongue:
Hi guys, haven't been in here in a while!
Sorry to hear about the recent rejections :frown:

I'm still waiting to hear from Nottingham, is anyone else in a similar position? :s-smilie:
Reply 6339
OriginofSymmetry
As for the L6th applicants, I detest them. They act as if they know more than me. One claimed that I wouldn't hear from Edinburgh until March, should have seen their face when I told them I had heard from them. Another is trying to get a certificate for doing over 1000 hours of volunteering, just so he can put it on his PS. You have to apply for this certificate too. Who would do that? Volunteering has never been a selfless thing has it?... Am I the only one who would do it, even without applying to medical school?

Just you....

Lol, only kidding! :tongue: Wk Experience has actually been really genuinely insightful and - dare I say it - fun! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending