The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Turns out I have to go to school tomorrow morning if I want to drop anything! :eek:
I keep chaning my mind about where to apply as well, and so little time left :s-smilie:
WHY do I have to choose Medicine, why? Why couldn't I have chosen something more simple and less competitive? BARGH!

If you couldn't tell, a little bit frustrated about the whole 'chances of getting an offer' thing. Such is life.
Reply 143
scaryhair
WHY do I have to choose Medicine, why? Why couldn't I have chosen something more simple and less competitive? BARGH!

If you couldn't tell, a little bit frustrated about the whole 'chances of getting an offer' thing. Such is life.

aaaah, i have these feelings too. so much. part of me feels frustrated with myself for not wanting to do something which it would be so much easier for me to get a place on.

but, at the same time, i want to do medicine so much that it's worth a risk. and if it's not for me, then i'll get rejected, and if it's really not for me, i'll get rejected when i reapply. at the end of the day, if we're not going to make good doctors, we'll not get a place - but if we will be, we will - i guess we just have to trust that uni's somewhere will think we have the potential to be and will let us in!!
Come on guys, heads up! Your not going to get in anywhere if you don't believe in yourselves... you've probably got a better chance than the average applicants
ben_stretch
Come on guys, heads up! Your not going to get in anywhere if you don't believe in yourselves... you've probably got a better chance than the average applicants

Thats the attitude!
Reply 146
ben_stretch

woo, positive thinking! i like it :smile:
Reply 147
Anyone got less than AAAA in ASs?
If so then what?
I'm so annoyed right now, my school is not allowing me to drop Computing since I got an A at AS. My head of year kept on insisting that uni's 'like' applicants taking on 4 A-Levels since it demonstrates being able to cope with a mass amount of workload. It's complete BS! I'm stuck with such a **** subject for the next year. :frown:

In other news, I spoke to the head of departments for all my subjects to verify predicted grades and they all seemed keen to predict AAAA for A2. I also sat down with my form tutor who went through my personal statement word by word and even threw some potential interview questions at me which I managed to respond well he said. On the whole he really liked what I wrote so far - he mentioned how I needed to improve the last two paragraphs and add a bit more on school.

He also mentioned I should add an area of medicine I'm interested in - like a speciality, but I don't really want to risk getting ahead of myself without viewing the whole picture if you get what I mean? :s-smilie:
!MEna
I'm so annoyed right now, my school is not allowing me to drop Computing since I got an A at AS. My head of year kept on insisting that uni's 'like' applicants taking on 4 A-Levels since it demonstrates being able to cope with a mass amount of workload. It's complete BS! I'm stuck with such a **** subject for the next year. :frown:

dude it hardly matters...most offers for people with 4 A2s are AAAC anyway so unless you're REALLY bad at computing i wouldn't worry (but since you got an A at AS it shouldn't be that bad). so basically you're getting a free A grade prediction in addition to your other 3...it's seen as a psychological advantage to many people. i understand that you don't like it but it's only for another year, then you can kiss it goodbye forever.
!MEna

In other news, I spoke to the head of departments for all my subjects to verify predicted grades and they all seemed keen to predict AAAA for A2. I also sat down with my form tutor who went through my personal statement word by word and even threw some potential interview questions at me which I managed to respond well he said. On the whole he really liked what I wrote so far - he mentioned how I needed to improve the last two paragraphs and add a bit more on school.

He also mentioned I should add an area of medicine I'm interested in - like a speciality, but I don't really want to risk getting ahead of myself without viewing the whole picture if you get what I mean? :s-smilie:

How can they force you to carry on?

It can't be too bad to have an extra A Level I spose as it would give you some leeway on an offer, but I spose it may affect your performance in your other subjects...
!MEna

Teachers talk such rubbish sometimes! Did you explain the Chemistry situation to them?
My referee refuses to write my reference until 3 weeks from now. More anxious waiting now :sigh:
!MEna

I'm sorry to hear that. The only thing I can suggest is that you just put as little effort into Computing as needed really, and try not to let it affect your other subjects.

Also, unless your tutor has a history of experience of a lot of specific medical applications, I wouldn't listen to him on this point. Everyone who knows something about medical admissions advice you not to speak about specialities in your PS, as the average applicant does not have enough experience/exposure to all medical fields to be able to make a balanced and sensible decision on that. To say you definitely want to go into X area and won't consider anything else at this stage is frankly quite naive.
Not having a go at you, more at your tutor. He really shouldn't go advising these things if he's not absolutely sure about them :s-smilie:
Reply 154
i specified one and got 3 interviews..........
Reply 155
scaryhair
I'm sorry to hear that. The only thing I can suggest is that you just put as little effort into Computing as needed really, and try not to let it affect your other subjects.

Also, unless your tutor has a history of experience of a lot of specific medical applications, I wouldn't listen to him on this point. Everyone who knows something about medical admissions advice you not to speak about specialities in your PS, as the average applicant does not have enough experience/exposure to all medical fields to be able to make a balanced and sensible decision on that. To say you definitely want to go into X area and won't consider anything else at this stage is frankly quite naive.
Not having a go at you, more at your tutor. He really shouldn't go advising these things if he's not absolutely sure about them :s-smilie:

Exactly unless they guy has experieince in medical applications dont listen to him accept his advice on mistakes and english only! and some improvements but as long as they sound pretty resonable.!
Reply 156
scaryhair

Everyone who knows something about medical admissions advice you not to speak about specialities in your PS, as the average applicant does not have enough experience/exposure to all medical fields to be able to make a balanced and sensible decision on that. To say you definitely want to go into X area and won't consider anything else at this stage is frankly quite naive.

Unless you're absolutely sure - should you..? There is no universal consensus on talking about the future/potential specialties on a PS - as previous threads on the topic on here have shown!

Obviously coming across as absolutely fixated on anything might ring alarm bells but pinpointing specific things that have interested you so far or you're looking forward to in the future if there are any can make quite a fitting conclusion, help make the PS more personal and memorable (as a PS helper you get a sense of how generic many must seem to admission tutors!) & give scope for lead on interview discussions.
My last paragraph about a specialty I was interested in definitely did the latter at one of my interviews with the "bad cop" interviewer on the panel. :p:
Reply 157
scaryhair
Everyone who knows something about medical admissions advice you not to speak about specialities in your PS, as the average applicant does not have enough experience/exposure to all medical fields to be able to make a balanced and sensible decision on that. To say you definitely want to go into X area and won't consider anything else at this stage is frankly quite naive.
That's not true. We advise against saying you definitely want to do something, but that's not to say that you shouldn't mention what you're interested in or that there aren't some cases when it's OK to say you're really interested in one particular area.

Having read quite a few medicine personal statements, I think its actually better when someone says what they're interested in. Otherwise it suggests they've not really thought about it or looked into it. I also think it tells you more about the applicant than their extra curriculars which are generally not dissimilar between applicants.
Yeah cheers for the replies guys and girls, I really have no choice but to carry on with Computing. I got 253/300 at AS with a breakdown of (76/105 , 87/105 [a], 90/90 [a]) in each module. I'm not resitting the first module because it's not the worth the effort to be honest.

I would need:
- 107/300 (U) at A2 to get a C overall
- 167/300 (D) at A2 to get a B overall
- 227/300 (B) at A2 to get an A overall

40% of A2 Computing is based on coursework with 120 UMS marks allocating for CPT6, the coursework module. I really do not know how I'm going to juggle that and focus on the other subjects to be honest. :frown:

Yeah I took my form tutor's advice with a pinch of salt since he's the head of Physics and doesn't really know much about medical admissions. He does know a lot about Medical Physics though, but then again, he's a Physics teacher at the end of the day. I guess it was nice to get some positive feedback from someone at least. He was telling me how he'd end up crossing out loads in most second or third drafts but he said he didn't need to with mine.

He did mention something which I didn't realise though. Basically there is a man in my personal statement who I have named, who had a pretty big influence to my aspiration to become a doctor. I met him at the nursing home and I named him to make my PS feel a bit more personal. The PS helpers liked me dropping this man's name, however, my form tutor thinks it exposes vulnerability since naming the man is like a breech of confidentiality which is obviously a huge responsibility on behalf of the doctor who has to keep such info strict. I think removing his name and referring to him as a man really depersonalises what I wrote because I've referred to him in two other places of my PS.
Reply 159
As long as no-one that reads your statement can identify the man, I think it's ok if you use his first name.

Latest

Trending

Trending