The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Law

I’ve been deciding between which to apply to for law: Cambridge and Oxford.
Although I’ve tried to see why people think one is better or what are the differences, overall they seem quite similar. So, I want to know from people who’ve applied or are in one of this two universities, why did you choose to apply in one or the other? I don’t mean with all knowledge you have of it now if you do attend there, but what made you choose one or the other when applying. Thanks
@Sophie.qoh why did you choose Cambridge over Oxford?
Here's just a quick list of some things I considered though they were not all equally weighted in my decision making:
- Generally had a gut feeling about Cambridge.
- People from my school who went all spoke very highly of Cambridge.
- I prefered Cambridge as a city.
- Cambridge ranks better than Oxford.
- Statistically, you have a better chance of getting an interview at Cambridge.
- I remember reading that Oxford's course was called Jurisprudence a few years ago and that did a lot to scare me off because I didn't to be spending most of my time discussing theory though I now know it's not so simple as that (funnily enough the need for real-world application almost made me firm UCL over Cambridge)
- The timetable and weighting of exams at Cambridge is much more preferable to me, I did not like the Oxford style at all.

There are lots of ways to inform your decision but ultimately the choice is your own. Both are excellent universities so make pick whichever one you think suits you best. Let me know if there's anything else I can add :smile:
Original post by Sophie.qoh
Here's just a quick list of some things I considered though they were not all equally weighted in my decision making:
- Generally had a gut feeling about Cambridge.
- People from my school who went all spoke very highly of Cambridge.
- I prefered Cambridge as a city.
- Cambridge ranks better than Oxford.
- Statistically, you have a better chance of getting an interview at Cambridge.
- I remember reading that Oxford's course was called Jurisprudence a few years ago and that did a lot to scare me off because I didn't to be spending most of my time discussing theory though I now know it's not so simple as that (funnily enough the need for real-world application almost made me firm UCL over Cambridge)
- The timetable and weighting of exams at Cambridge is much more preferable to me, I did not like the Oxford style at all.

There are lots of ways to inform your decision but ultimately the choice is your own. Both are excellent universities so make pick whichever one you think suits you best. Let me know if there's anything else I can add :smile:

Thank you so much for this. So what made you choose UCL over Cambridge other than the real-world application?
Original post by Urszula2023
Thank you so much for this. So what made you choose UCL over Cambridge other than the real-world application?

In the end, I firmed Cambridge.
I'm from the North of England and so London really appealed to me - a bustling city with all these big companies and the courts and so much to see and do. I also went to the UCL open day with mediocre expectations and was blown away. Generally such a good vibe, a capped year size, brilliant facilities and they really pushed how they make use of their London setting. Following the open day, all the correspondence I had with them was great too. They made me feel really wanted in contrast to Cambridge. I summarise it that Cambridge made me feel like they felt I would be lucky to go there, UCL made me feel like they felt they would be lucky to have me.
But in the end, Cambridge is the best law school in the UK, it's world-class and carries such a reputation. The college system provides such a high level of support to allow you to focus on the intense academics - in London I would've had to have found accommodation etc after first year, much higher costs etc. But it was very difficult for me to turn down UCL because they really did blow me away.

Picking the right uni for you will really come down to what you value most.
Original post by Urszula2023
I’ve been deciding between which to apply to for law: Cambridge and Oxford.
Although I’ve tried to see why people think one is better or what are the differences, overall they seem quite similar. So, I want to know from people who’ve applied or are in one of this two universities, why did you choose to apply in one or the other? I don’t mean with all knowledge you have of it now if you do attend there, but what made you choose one or the other when applying. Thanks

Cambridge law grad here.

Think I picked Cambridge over Oxford purely because my GCSEs weren't particularly good and I wanted an interview. At least at the time that seemed more likely.

If your academic profile is typical I wouldn't worry too much about it OP. Realistically they're probably much of a muchness to be quite honest. If you'll enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.
Original post by Sophie.qoh
In the end, I firmed Cambridge.
I'm from the North of England and so London really appealed to me - a bustling city with all these big companies and the courts and so much to see and do. I also went to the UCL open day with mediocre expectations and was blown away. Generally such a good vibe, a capped year size, brilliant facilities and they really pushed how they make use of their London setting. Following the open day, all the correspondence I had with them was great too. They made me feel really wanted in contrast to Cambridge. I summarise it that Cambridge made me feel like they felt I would be lucky to go there, UCL made me feel like they felt they would be lucky to have me.
But in the end, Cambridge is the best law school in the UK, it's world-class and carries such a reputation. The college system provides such a high level of support to allow you to focus on the intense academics - in London I would've had to have found accommodation etc after first year, much higher costs etc. But it was very difficult for me to turn down UCL because they really did blow me away.

Picking the right uni for you will really come down to what you value most.

Wow. It’s so great to hear your opinion as someone who actually goes to Cambridg. Thank you 😁
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Cambridge law grad here.

Think I picked Cambridge over Oxford purely because my GCSEs weren't particularly good and I wanted an interview. At least at the time that seemed more likely.

If your academic profile is typical I wouldn't worry too much about it OP. Realistically they're probably much of a muchness to be quite honest. If you'll enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending