The Student Room Group

Studying Mechanical Engineering after leaving college 6 years ago, need a bit of help

Hey all

After a little bit of advice, I left college 6 years ago for work in the IT industry but wanted a change so applied to study Mechanical Engineering and got accepted.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any materials or ideas of what I can read to get up to speed on subjects that will catch me up to speed with people going fresh out of college.

Thanks
Original post by robodog
Hey all

After a little bit of advice, I left college 6 years ago for work in the IT industry but wanted a change so applied to study Mechanical Engineering and got accepted.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any materials or ideas of what I can read to get up to speed on subjects that will catch me up to speed with people going fresh out of college.

Thanks

Try and go over some sixth form level maths and mechanics.
Original post by robodog
Hey all

Thanks

You'll be fine Mech Eng is easy!
Reply 3
Original post by trapking
You'll be fine Mech Eng is easy!

Lol it does not have an easy reputation and is one of the toughest courses.
Reply 4
Original post by robodog
Hey all

Thanks

Go over A Level Maths and A Level Physics

Physics
Mechanics
Circuits
Heat
Materials
Scalars and vectors

Maths (Pure Mathematics and Mechanics)
Calculus (differentiation and integration)
Graphs
Vectors
Trigonometry
Series
Complex numbers (if you have time)
Partial fractions

Use revision study guides or A Level textbooks (new or old).
Original post by robodog
Hey all

Thanks

I'd work through the Maths A level resources on here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

If the degree just asks for Maths A level then focus on Pure 1 and Pure 2 and Mech 1 and 2
Original post by 161BMW
Lol it does not have an easy reputation and is one of the toughest courses.

Oh really? Tell me more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending