The Student Room Group

What is a 'strong state'?

I'm struggling to find a widely accepted definition.

So far I've got that a strong state is one that has sovereignty over the territory, capacity to enforce regulations and taxation and a greater institutional ability to penetrate society (while having low state permeability).

But I'm confused as to whether an authoritarian state/government is the ultimate 'strong' state??

Could someone please help me out? Would be much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by dsidi
I'm struggling to find a widely accepted definition.

So far I've got that a strong state is one that has sovereignty over the territory, capacity to enforce regulations and taxation and a greater institutional ability to penetrate society (while having low state permeability).

But I'm confused as to whether an authoritarian state/government is the ultimate 'strong' state??

Could someone please help me out? Would be much appreciated, thanks!

The State does not enforce regulations and taxation. This is the role of the Government (who use the State as an element & authority to their governance). The State is a larger entity which covers organisations and individuals beyond the conventional judicial, legislative and executive machinery (which are, of course, elements of it).

The two concepts of statehood and government are distinct. Government is the agency of the state and the visible face of the state, state cannot survive or function without government. Similarly, government cannot exist without state. Consider this in your evaluation.

Hope this helps
Aidan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending