The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level choice!

I'm starting A-Levels this year in September.
Was originally planning on doing English Lit, Art and Design, Economics and Business Studies (all CCEA) in my school, and have been doing History of Art (Edexcel) outside of school (5 in total).

However, after hearing Econ. and Business are often counted as one instead of two, I've decided to drop Business, as I think Economics seems objectively 'better' or 'stronger'.

But I'm torn between what to swap it out for. I did the three sciences at GCSE, found them very easy, and I was predicted high grades (A*) in February, so I presume that the grades from those will remain mostly the same come August, so they're still an option (though I do know A-Level science is a large step up from GCSE). I'd also be interested in doing Government and Politics, or Sociology.
I'm looking to do a Fine Art degree, and plan to apply to Oxford, UCL and some UAL schools.

I'm just wondering if doing a science in combination with my other subjects would be advantageous, or would I be better doing something else, like Politics? Would Oxford or UCL prefer a science over another essay subject, even if I don't plan to go down a science route? Or does it really not matter at all?
Hey! Some universities actually prefer students having a variety of subjects that don't quite relate with each other at A-level rather than having all their subjects in a certain field. So I think having Science along with English Lit., Art and Design and Econ. would actually be quite advantageous. Ultimately you would be applying for a Fine Arts degree and as long as you have English, Art, etc. you are fine! Some unis like seeing students exploring their options at A level so I really don't think its unusual or disadvantageous in any way. Just make sure your personal statement really reflects on why you are applying for Fine Arts and you'll do great! Hope this help :smile:
Original post by EDEM0978
I'm starting A-Levels this year in September.
Was originally planning on doing English Lit, Art and Design, Economics and Business Studies (all CCEA) in my school, and have been doing History of Art (Edexcel) outside of school (5 in total).

However, after hearing Econ. and Business are often counted as one instead of two, I've decided to drop Business, as I think Economics seems objectively 'better' or 'stronger'.

But I'm torn between what to swap it out for. I did the three sciences at GCSE, found them very easy, and I was predicted high grades (A*) in February, so I presume that the grades from those will remain mostly the same come August, so they're still an option (though I do know A-Level science is a large step up from GCSE). I'd also be interested in doing Government and Politics, or Sociology.
I'm looking to do a Fine Art degree, and plan to apply to Oxford, UCL and some UAL schools.

I'm just wondering if doing a science in combination with my other subjects would be advantageous, or would I be better doing something else, like Politics? Would Oxford or UCL prefer a science over another essay subject, even if I don't plan to go down a science route? Or does it really not matter at all?

Hey @EDEM0978 :smile:

Great to hear you're thinking of applying for a Fine Art degree!
Which UAL college(s) are you thinking of applying to? I'm a student at UAL Chelsea College of Arts, doing my BA in Fine Art. I have experience in applying to art schools, and I went through a similar situation when I was doing my A-levels.

In most art school applications, as well as your personal statement, your work, and how you think, is likely to be the primary focus. I did English Lit. AS-Level, History, Design Technology (DT), and Fine Art at A-level. I went on to do a Foundation at Central Saint Martins and subsequently had interviews at UAL and UCL Slade amongst others. Like @anisha211 said, I think a lot of Fine Art courses go on to accept students from a wide array of backgrounds with lots of different educational experiences. If you're applying for a Fine Art BA, my advice would be to take a careful look at entrance criteria for the courses you are considering applying for, but also to not worry too much about how your other A-Levels subjects will be perceived by universities beyond this. For example, for BA Fine Art at UAL Chelsea, the minimum A-level entry requirements for the BA Fine Art course is currently 2 A-levels at grade C or above (entry requirements are similar for BA Fine Art at Central Saint Martins) - the main consideration is the portfolio and interview. Sometimes, taking a creative A-level subject like Fine Art might be recommended, and sometimes essay/humanities subjects can be useful for courses with more theory. The entry requirements can be quite different between schools, and it all depends on where you are applying.

For a Fine Art degree, and most other creative subjects, the tutors will be interested in your ability to demonstrate your creative potential! This will most likely come across with a strong portfolio, and in your interview, if you have one.
Tutors might also be keen to know if you have other interests, and how this might inform your creative practice. This may or may not be reflected in your A-levels, but it might also just be things you are reading, TV you might be watching, shows you've been to see or galleries you've visited, etc. My advice would be to take the A-level subject you think you'll enjoy or find interesting!

Also, have you considered doing a Foundation course in Art & Design? On some courses, it's sometimes preferred that Fine Art applicants have completed one, and also it is a great step between A-level arts and degree, and it can provide you with lots of work to make your portfolio even better! I'll link the ones offered at Camberwell College of Arts and Central Saint Martins below:

> Foundation at Camberwell College of Arts
> Foundation at Central Saint Martins

I hope that's useful, and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have! :smile:

- Hannah
UAL Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @EDEM0978 :smile:

Great to hear you're thinking of applying for a Fine Art degree!
Which UAL college(s) are you thinking of applying to? I'm a student at UAL Chelsea College of Arts, doing my BA in Fine Art. I have experience in applying to art schools, and I went through a similar situation when I was doing my A-levels.

In most art school applications, as well as your personal statement, your work, and how you think, is likely to be the primary focus. I did English Lit. AS-Level, History, Design Technology (DT), and Fine Art at A-level. I went on to do a Foundation at Central Saint Martins and subsequently had interviews at UAL and UCL Slade amongst others. Like @anisha211 said, I think a lot of Fine Art courses go on to accept students from a wide array of backgrounds with lots of different educational experiences. If you're applying for a Fine Art BA, my advice would be to take a careful look at entrance criteria for the courses you are considering applying for, but also to not worry too much about how your other A-Levels subjects will be perceived by universities beyond this. For example, for BA Fine Art at UAL Chelsea, the minimum A-level entry requirements for the BA Fine Art course is currently 2 A-levels at grade C or above (entry requirements are similar for BA Fine Art at Central Saint Martins) - the main consideration is the portfolio and interview. Sometimes, taking a creative A-level subject like Fine Art might be recommended, and sometimes essay/humanities subjects can be useful for courses with more theory. The entry requirements can be quite different between schools, and it all depends on where you are applying.

For a Fine Art degree, and most other creative subjects, the tutors will be interested in your ability to demonstrate your creative potential! This will most likely come across with a strong portfolio, and in your interview, if you have one.
Tutors might also be keen to know if you have other interests, and how this might inform your creative practice. This may or may not be reflected in your A-levels, but it might also just be things you are reading, TV you might be watching, shows you've been to see or galleries you've visited, etc. My advice would be to take the A-level subject you think you'll enjoy or find interesting!

Also, have you considered doing a Foundation course in Art & Design? On some courses, it's sometimes preferred that Fine Art applicants have completed one, and also it is a great step between A-level arts and degree, and it can provide you with lots of work to make your portfolio even better! I'll link the ones offered at Camberwell College of Arts and Central Saint Martins below:

> Foundation at Camberwell College of Arts
> Foundation at Central Saint Martins

I hope that's useful, and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have! :smile:

- Hannah
UAL Student Rep

Thank you for your response!
It's comforting to know the portfolio is what they'd really focus on.

UAL-wise, I was looking at applying for Camberwell and CSM for BA Fine Art about a year from now. I've done two week-long short courses at CSM in the past year, along with several other short courses locally, and I hope to do more in the coming year!

Foundation is certainly an option that I've considered - especially at CSM - but the financing is off-putting. (I was born in July, which means I'm old for the school year in Northern Ireland - fees for under 19s are free on the Foundation course, but from what I've read, because I'd turn 19 in July a few months before I started attending, I'd have to pay the 19+ fee, even though I would have been in the same school year as others not paying the fee).
For this reason, I'm leaning more towards doing a BA straight out of A-Levels if possible, as doing a Foundation would be significantly more costly from what I've gathered.

Quick Reply

Latest