The Student Room Group

Motorway lanes?

Quite confused. Why does it say to use only the left hand lane unless overtaking? I see people driving all the time in the middle and right hand lanes or am I wrong? What is the point of the middle and right hand lane then?
Reply 1
Original post by etienne26
Quite confused. Why does it say to use only the left hand lane unless overtaking? I see people driving all the time in the middle and right hand lanes or am I wrong? What is the point of the middle and right hand lane then?

The middle and right lanes are just for overtaking. People tend to stick in the middle and right hand lane, just because they can, plus people only driving in the middle lane without realising is a common occurrence. Some might do it, because they know the left hand lane leads off at a junction in 3 miles, or they can just about see a car in the left hand lane in the distance, so they don't bother moving over. You should ALWAYS move over to the left hand lane when not overtaking. Don't learn for other peoples mistakes and bad habits :smile:
Original post by etienne26

The left lane is the default driving lane. The middle is technically for overtaking though road users will remain on it - the DVSA advises motorists to use all available road space. The furthest right lane is for overtaking. Motorists shouldn't stay in this permanently.

3 lanes exist to ensure everyone can overtake safely. It lowers the risk of people undertaking.

Hope this helps
Aidan
Reply 3
It is an offence now to sit in the middle or right lane when not overtaking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending