The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say most but there are definitely some people who are pressured due to their parents.
well yes but then again, i know lots of asian children go their own way and do their own things
True,

And beyond that it's not just one subject either... It's got elements of various sciences... But there's also elements of business management... For example I'm doing my masters in change management that is widely used and taught in healthcare settings.

I mean the stuff they learn and interdisciplinary nature of the degree requires you to be smart in a ton of areas.

Where if you just did say another hard course, you could hide your deficiencies....

For example, can't do maths? But are good at reading... No problem, law, history, social sciences.

Only good at maths? No problem... Just do maths, finance, accounting....
medicine is a really hard course and if i get into medicine for sure i would flex
In principal, i wouldn't have minded becoming a doctor...maybe i could have made it.

But i don't particularly like blood, i don't think i could deal with patients dieing, i would feel like a piece of me died everytime i lost one......

So i totally agree, hospitals are horrible environments and i personally can't stand them. But totally respect them of course.

Thanks for being a doctor! For those of us not strong enough.
Original post by StarLinyx
Why do some Medicine students think they are above others who are doing different subjects?

Because they are shafted by the government :smile:. On When they graduate working part time people like me come in and say do I have like changing condition when I have a headache really :colondollar:
Because some people are ****s, being a med student doesn't change that.
yeah but medicine is a really prestigious degree, and therefore many people view medicine as the superior subject. imo it is. if you do well in medicine there's a high chance you'll become successful. however, if you get a degree in art for example and do well, there's little guarantee you'll become a successful artist or whatever. there's not a high demand for artists in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230
if you disagree with me id suggest you take a look at the link i pasted (:
It's defo so hard to get in to, I think a lot of their requirements should be lowered but, oh well.
right, what im trying to say is that people that study medicine are seen as superior because of how prestigious it is. im simply answering op's question.
there's a good chance that "geezer" will become a doctor or something.
but like, if that same geezer did an art degree i doubt he'd find a stable artsy job
Yep he is a big man. He has achieved a prestigious degree, clearly you are jealous of him referring him as a big man. He has right to flex
no, but they are very much up there with the cream of the crop
I think if you were a medical student you'd quickly realise this would be pretty cringe :tongue:
So what? He can flex he worked hard to get his grades and he graduated soon he will get a job. And he will be flexing more :cool:
I know, it's because everyone wants to do it but, then is that something so wrong. Maybe I'm bitter, because as a student my confidence was completely knocked, when I was told I couldn't apply or didn't have the grades, I'm probably an average applicant, with decent grades, I mean circumstances are circumstances and it shouldn't be the fault of Universities, but, so many people's dreams get deflated, especially when I was at school and how I saw how frustrated people would get trying to fight their way through copious amount of revision, UCAT and what not. I know academia is important but, passion is equally. And, in the olden times, it wasn't about how educated one was, at least that's what an old woman told me when she mentioned how her brother was a doctor.
well they're top of the top because they earn a lot of money and they also save lives, so they're deffo up there
Right, but, aren't the widening participation schemes for those who are idk below the 25K threshold, those living in geographically low income areas, and so on. I mean idk why I'm complaining I did get a contextual offer, however, my UCAT was too low, so I couldn't win. Way worse, or not way worse, I'm talking about only 30-40 years ago. Besides, even in the early 2000's the entry requirements were okay, I mean my cousin is a doctor and she sat her A-levels and got AAB in 2001 and I think went to UCL I reckon she did get a contextual offer, but I didn't ask . I'm not meaning to b*tch, I'm just saying some can be lowered.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Right, but, aren't the widening participation schemes for those who are idk below the 25K threshold, those living in geographically low income areas, and so on. I mean idk why I'm complaining I did get a contextual offer, however, my UCAT was too low, so I couldn't win. Way worse, or not way worse, I'm talking about only 30-40 years ago. Besides, even in the early 2000's the entry requirements were okay, I mean my cousin is a doctor and she sat her A-levels and got AAB in 2001 and I think went to UCL I reckon she did get a contextual offer, but I didn't ask . I'm not meaning to b*tch, I'm just saying some can be lowered.

If they lowered A level requirements for everyone, surely UCAT/BMAT cut off scores for interview would increase and potentially interview cut off scores for getting offers would increase as well
Original post by Emily5243
If they lowered A level requirements for everyone, surely UCAT/BMAT cut off scores for interview would increase and potentially interview cut off scores for getting offers would increase as well

So essentially, it's either an all or nothing, if you don't win you don't win. There is no real compromise :smile:
what's wrong with being proud of what you've achieved?

Latest

Trending

Trending