The Student Room Group

A levels in manchester

I need to apply to an A-Level school/Sixth form in Manchester. I live outside the UK, but I posses a European passport, so I'm looking to apply to a public school.
I know it's chronically late, I couldn't apply earlier because I only just recently sorted out my housing.
My May/June IGCSE's were cancelled and the grades from my Mock 2 exams are: 1 A* 2 As 4 Bs and the others are Cs. These are quite mediocre grades that won't attract scholarships and the applications for nearly all the A Level schools I've opened, are closed.
If you live around the area, could you please tell me about a few public sixth form schools in the area?
(any information on whether or not they are open would help as well)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I’ve lived in Manchester pretty much my whole life. I can recommend you a few sixth forms?

I personally think Loreto is really good (I went there), Xaverian is alright. Parrswood Sixth form, you have the grammar/private school ones too - Withington girls, Man high girls, Man high boys. William Hulme sixth form...etc but I highly recommend Loreto, huge amount of support available!
Reply 2
I've gone through the Loreto website and the school looks amazing but their application deadline has passed. I will still apply, but it's not a very reliable option for me. The Xaverian college has even removed the application from their website haha

What time did you apply before you were accepted into their sixth form? Do you think I should bother going on with my application?
Thanks for your private school recommendations as well, but those are my very last options.
Thank you so much!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by penduin
I need to apply to an A-Level school/Sixth form in Manchester. I live outside the UK, but I posses a European passport, so I'm looking to apply to a public school.
I know it's chronically late, I couldn't apply earlier because I only just recently sorted out my housing.
My May/June IGCSE's were cancelled and the grades from my Mock 2 exams are: 1 A* 2 As 4 Bs and the others are Cs. These are quite mediocre grades that won't attract scholarships and the applications for nearly all the A Level schools I've opened, are closed.
If you live around the area, could you please tell me about a few public sixth form schools in the area?
(any information on whether or not they are open would help as well)

hahaha your grades are PERFECTLY fine and shows you are someone of a high ability I got majority C's in my GCSEs and still got accepted in Loreto.

For someone in your position I would say call up the schools near when GCSEs or Alevels are announced and tell them of your situation as I don't think many colleges will be open now or be answering the phones. Maybe try emailing them but idk.

Loreto makes it self look like THE best college in Manchester it really isn't tho it just attracts bright students overall.
They have good facilities and lunch time clubs/activities, good charity work (Catholic college), student's are fairly nice, very good counselling services, close to central town, close to supermarket/food places, trips often depending on course.
Some down sides to Loreto: unneeded form time (at least 2 a week but the second one is only 15 mins long), forced RE lessons you CAN'T skip (not assessed through), classrooms remind me of primary/high school tables, strict on not having students in public college spaces if they don't have a lesson, after 3pm closes canteens, ban card games of sort due to 3 years ago people were gambling (most teachers don't care), over priced lunches, mildly segregated canteens (3 canteens in total).

College Recommendations:
Loreto College
Xaverian
Kings Cross
Pendleton
Manchester College (Openshaw College).

What Alevels do you want to study.
Original post by Stanza03
hahaha your grades are PERFECTLY fine and shows you are someone of a high ability I got majority C's in my GCSEs and still got accepted in Loreto.

For someone in your position I would say call up the schools near when GCSEs or Alevels are announced and tell them of your situation as I don't think many colleges will be open now or be answering the phones. Maybe try emailing them but idk.

Loreto makes it self look like THE best college in Manchester it really isn't tho it just attracts bright students overall.
They have good facilities and lunch time clubs/activities, good charity work (Catholic college), student's are fairly nice, very good counselling services, close to central town, close to supermarket/food places, trips often depending on course.
Some down sides to Loreto: unneeded form time (at least 2 a week but the second one is only 15 mins long), forced RE lessons you CAN'T skip (not assessed through), classrooms remind me of primary/high school tables, strict on not having students in public college spaces if they don't have a lesson, after 3pm closes canteens, ban card games of sort due to 3 years ago people were gambling (most teachers don't care), over priced lunches, mildly segregated canteens (3 canteens in total).

College Recommendations:
Loreto College
Xaverian
Kings Cross
Pendleton

I'm guessing you went loreto? haha! when did u leave there?
Original post by s.hazard
I'm guessing you went loreto? haha! when did u leave there?

hahah I do. I leave next year
hahah I do. I leave next year

Oh cool I left in 2019. Good luck!
Reply 7

College Recommendations:
Loreto College
Xaverian
Kings Cross
Pendleton

Thank you so much for highlighting the pros and cons.

- Xaverian college is closed for applications

- I applied to Manchester college. They made me an offer but I haven't accepted it because it's a foundation school and my brother talked me out of foundations for now. I'm a VERY indecisive person and I think choosing one subject to do a foundation would make me panic lol. I talked about it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6593916&goto=newpost

I'll check out Kings Cross and Pendleton, thanks for being critical about Loreto. The school I'm coming from is far stricter so I think I'll survive haha.

My A-Level Subjects
- Art & Design
- French
- Maths
- Literature

I don't plan on keeping all 4 subjects tbh, I won't drop art for sure because that's my strength for now, unfortunately I don't have a very specific future plan so I picked two facilitating subjects (mathematics & French) so I don't get too stuck. I like geography but I hear there's a lot of coursework and since art is already quite time consuming, I don't really want to make my A Level life too hectic. Do you have any opinions on my choice of subjects? Or experience?
I studied Maths, Bio & Chem. Maths was quite difficult for me - despite me achieving the top grade at GCSE. I do not recommend taking it unless you are really, really good at maths. Loreto felt like high school part 2 minus dress code. I think it’s quite supportive, they have extra sessions for students who are underperforming and lots of support for students applying to medicine/dent/vet etc. Do not go to Mcr college if youre planning on doing Alevels..
Reply 9
I studied Maths, Bio & Chem. Maths was quite difficult for me - despite me achieving the top grade at GCSE. I do not recommend taking it unless you are really, really good at maths. Loreto felt like high school part 2 minus dress code. I think it’s quite supportive, they have extra sessions for students who are underperforming and lots of support for students applying to medicine/dent/vet etc. Do not go to Mcr college if youre planning on doing Alevels..

Woah, I thought Maths would just be like a progression of secondary school maths. Thanks for the heads-up. I wrote it on all my application forms already! Looks like I'll have to replace it when I get enrolled.
No, it’s much more intense especially in 2nd year... there’s advanced stats and mechanics (hard kinematics)!
Reply 11
No, it’s much more intense especially in 2nd year... there’s advanced stats and mechanics (hard kinematics)!

Kinematics
I just looked that up and frankly, I'm terrified.
It’s like triple science physics questions but much harder, the stats was hard too. Loreto forced us to buy either the £60 calculator or the £90 one. Still have mine cries
Reply 13
60! For a calculator? I guess i’ll pick sociology then. Thanks
Reply 14

College Recommendations:
Loreto College
Xaverian
Kings Cross
Pendleton

Hii, I'm thinking of Loreto as my first choice college. What do you mean by 'mildly segregated canteens?'
Also, was it easy to make friends?
Original post by sahar_x
Hii, I'm thinking of Loreto as my first choice college. What do you mean by 'mildly segregated canteens?'
Also, was it easy to make friends?

So basically one building has a lot of white ppl in the canteen, one has mostly black people, the other is asians. I wouldnt call this a problem, i used to sit in any lol. Yes it’s easy to make friends, ppl there are nice!
Reply 16
So basically one building has a lot of white ppl in the canteen, one has mostly black people, the other is asians. I wouldnt call this a problem, i used to sit in any lol. Yes it’s easy to make friends, ppl there are nice!

Ohh, I'm kinda scared because I was afraid I'd make no friends and be a loner for 2 years. I'm going to do Business, Accounting and Sociology/ IT.
Original post by sahar_x
Ohh, I'm kinda scared because I was afraid I'd make no friends and be a loner for 2 years. I'm going to do Business, Accounting and Sociology/ IT.

nah you’ll make friends dw, you make me feel old hahah bless. I remember being in college like it was yesterday, I really enjoyed it. But students who got 5A* or more, we’re given extra treatment / guidance for competitive courses
Reply 18

College Recommendations:
Loreto College
Xaverian
Kings Cross
Pendleton

Hey there! So like… I got 5 GCSEs and idk if loreto will even allow me to do 2 ALEVELS (was planning on doing a BTEC anyway). Would you let me know? My grades are:
Maths: 4
Science: 3-3 (i wont appeal im tired)
English Language: 6
Religious Studies: 6
History: 3 (</3)
English Literature: 5
Portuguese: 8

thank you x
Reply 19
have you looked at the website? it shows what grades you need for certain subjects. you mainly need 2 6's to do most courses from what I remember. btec entry requirements r usually lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending