The Student Room Group

A level subject selection

I am currently studying math(mechanics) economics, computer science and physics. I am confused as to weather I should drop physics or economics. At university I want to study either computerscience science or finance
(edited 3 years ago)
Drop economics. It is a subject you can study at uni without a direct a level. Physics is harder but shows you are well 'ard and not looking to take soft touches or the path of least resistance because it happens to be easier.
Original post by ByEeek
Drop economics. It is a subject you can study at uni without a direct a level. Physics is harder but shows you are well 'ard and not looking to take soft touches or the path of least resistance because it happens to be easier.

But since it is harder doesn't that mean that i will also have a lower chance of getting a high grade?
Original post by Chaos126forever
But since it is harder doesn't that mean that i will also have a lower chance of getting a high grade?

It depends how you look at it. Who is to say you won't do well in physics?

Conversely whilst choosing between thousands of economic A grades and the odd physics B grades I would be more interested in the physicist. I have yet to meet a ohysist who wasn't awesome!
Choose the one you are struggling more with or enjoy less
Original post by PetitePanda
Choose the one you are struggling more with or enjoy less

IDK I have not done the exams for them yet as I have list started the year. I think I'm equal in them both. I enjoy them equally. That why it's hard to school which to drop
IDK I have not done the exams for them yet as I have list started the year. I think I'm equal in them both. I enjoy them equally. That why it's hard to school which to drop

That is hard. Maybe look at each A2 topics and see if you enjoy them?
That is hard. Maybe look at each A2 topics and see if you enjoy them?

See the thing is economics is easier for me but people recommend physics for computerscience even though I find it much harder. Don't get me wrong both are enjoyable but economics will be easier for me
See the thing is economics is easier for me but people recommend physics for computerscience even though I find it much harder. Don't get me wrong both are enjoyable but economics will be easier for me

It's a preferred subject but you'll be fine as long as you have A level maths. If you rather take Economics, take economics and drop physics
It's a preferred subject but you'll be fine as long as you have A level maths. If you rather take Economics, take economics and drop physics

And one more thing is that will people who took more preferred subjects I.e physics will have a higher chance of bieng accepted into university? Say if I took economics. Will that stop my chances of getting into a good cs uni?
And one more thing is that will people who took more preferred subjects I.e physics will have a higher chance of bieng accepted into university? Say if I took economics. Will that stop my chances of getting into a good cs uni?

Nah. Your grades, personal statement, interview (if any) and external admission test (if any) would give you a higher chance of getting accepted. It would not stop your chances of getting a good cs uni.
Original post by ByEeek
It depends how you look at it. Who is to say you won't do well in physics?

Conversely whilst choosing between thousands of economic A grades and the odd physics B grades I would be more interested in the physicist. I have yet to meet a ohysist who wasn't awesome!

I might be able to do well in physics but only at the cost of lowering my grades in my other subjects. With economics iteacea me lots more time to practice math and computer science whereas physics is more respected. That is what makes It such a hard choice
I might be able to do well in physics but only at the cost of lowering my grades in my other subjects. With economics iteacea me lots more time to practice math and computer science whereas physics is more respected. That is what makes It such a hard choice

Which do you enjoy more? Learning about the laws of nature or learning about how economies work?

Do in life what you enjoy. No point wasting time on stuff you don't like.

Not at all. Not doing Physics will only stop you from applying for a Physics degree and perhaps some Engineering degrees. Apart from those, you can literally apply to Oxbridge, LSE and wherever else and you'd have the same chance of getting in with 3 subjects compared to someone else who was doing 3 subjects (that included Physics) or someone else who was doing 4 subjects.

Again, completely false.

---------------

Ergo, drop Physics and make your life easier. It won't disadvantage you whatsoever.

/endofdiscussion

Quick Reply

Latest