The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vladek
Hey,

Anyone know how long it takes from having your filter interview to knowing if you have a date for OASC please?

Cheers

Most people seem to be saying an average of around 2-3 weeks. I heard about two weeks after mine. :smile:
Reply 2
Nikki J S
Most people seem to be saying an average of around 2-3 weeks. I heard about two weeks after mine. :smile:

Excellent :smile: cheers.

Any idea if I was to get a place on the assesment centre how long would it be from knowing if you have a place to going? Really hope i get a place!
Reply 3
Vladek

Any idea if I was to get a place on the assesment centre how long would it be from knowing if you have a place to going? Really hope i get a place!

I don't know really, Wzz is proabaly the best person to tell you that. It probably depends on the branch you're applying for and what vacancies they have at the time. What are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 4
Nikki J S
I don't know really, Wzz is proabaly the best person to tell you that. It probably depends on the branch you're applying for and what vacancies they have at the time. What are you applying for? :smile:

Engineering and Provost, Both of which i'd love to do!
Reply 5
have you lived in the country for 10 years or had a trackable history for 10 years? Everyone is different but I was told (even though I was interested in the branches) that I could never apply for Provost or Int as although I was British I had not lived in the country long enough.

Do you mean that if you passed the Officer and Aircrew Selection Process, how long it will take to go into active service? If that is the question, I have been waiting since May of this year! But I have recently joined a university air squadron as I decided to continue my student studies. If you're asking how long it takes to find out if you've passed I believe it is a month or more. Not sure. Wzz will be able to tell you though. He's a wealth of knowledge!

Have you compleated your filter interview? If so, how did it go?
Reply 6
Vladek

Oops, think I misunderstood your question. If you mean the time from getting at a date for OASC and actually attending, people's experiences have varied. Anything between 3-6 months seems normal, although there've been shorter and longer timescales. :smile:
Reply 7
Nah Nikki, you got it right first time ta :smile:

SE, cheers for the reply, yeah i've lived here for 22 years and have a trackable history, well at least i can track it anyhow! Had to fill in a security vetting form, already have security clearance for my present job though so its nothing new.

Yeah just did my filter interview a week or two ago, I was quiet nervous but hopefully it didn't show, he said he'd put my application though to OASC and now its up to them and i should hopefully hear in a few weeks!!!

Can't believe the way i'm spending my day off, so far i've sleep, had lunch and am now watching neighbours!!
Reply 8
sublime_envy
Do you mean that if you passed the Officer and Aircrew Selection Process, how long it will take to go into active service? If that is the question, I have been waiting since May of this year! But I have recently joined a university air squadron as I decided to continue my student studies.

Now you're really confusing me. I thought you had applied to join as an airwoman? When did you go through OASC, and why?

If you did pass initial selection, I assume you've told them that you're now at uni, joining a UAS, and no longer wish to join, right?
Reply 9
Wzz
Now you're really confusing me. I thought you had applied to join as an airwoman? When did you go through OASC, and why?

If you did pass initial selection, I assume you've told them that you're now at uni, joining a UAS, and no longer wish to join, right?

Was that not relating to some non-commissioned post she was offered, and you advised her not to go for, some months ago?
Reply 10
You don't go through OASC for non-commissioned posts other than aircrew; Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre, remember? :wink:

That's why I was surprised. Also, I'd be a bit worried if she applied for non-commissioned direct entry, was accepted, is waiting to start training, and has joined a UAS without withdrawing from the initial application. If she hasn't, she'll get a letter shortly advising her to come to Halton to start, and things will get a little messy.
Reply 11
Wzz
You don't go through OASC for non-commissioned posts other than aircrew; Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre, remember? :wink:

Good point. I forgot.

Wzz
That's why I was surprised. Also, I'd be a bit worried if she applied for non-commissioned direct entry, was accepted, is waiting to start training, and has joined a UAS without withdrawing from the initial application. If she hasn't, she'll get a letter shortly advising her to come to Halton to start, and things will get a little messy.

Perhaps she's got it all sorted!
Reply 12
Fingers crossed!
ahhh sorry to confuse you! When I initally applied for the RAF back in Feb last year I wanted pilot. They gave me that eye form for my optician to fill out. She did and I failed it. AFCO said there was no hope of being a pilot. They offered to help me choose another career so I chose FC. sat the filter int for that and then got offered an OASC date. Got irritated as I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do so I pulled out. Asked again about pilot, re sat the test and failed the optician report again. At the time I wasn't banking on being able to be in the airforce so I had been accepted to do engineering at a few universities. AFCO said they could take me on as engineer, I sat the tests passed in May and decided to go off to uni while waiting for a training date.

I went to the freshers fair, saw the UAS and enquired. Met a nice student pilot who convinced me to try anyway so I did. Went to OASC and passed for pilot as well as UAS. They told me there was nothing wrong with my vision! Got told I could join if I changed my degree and then I started to ask wether to go in as trades on not on here.

So yeah lots of career options in the RAF but the RAF is the only thing I will consider for a career. :biggrin:
Reply 14
sublime_envy
ahhh sorry to confuse you! When I initally applied for the RAF back in Feb last year I wanted pilot. They gave me that eye form for my optician to fill out. She did and I failed it. AFCO said there was no hope of being a pilot. They offered to help me choose another career so I chose FC. sat the filter int for that and then got offered an OASC date. Got irritated as I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do so I pulled out. Asked again about pilot, re sat the test and failed the optician report again. At the time I wasn't banking on being able to be in the airforce so I had been accepted to do engineering at a few universities. AFCO said they could take me on as engineer, I sat the tests passed in May and decided to go off to uni while waiting for a training date.

I went to the freshers fair, saw the UAS and enquired. Met a nice student pilot who convinced me to try anyway so I did. Went to OASC and passed for pilot as well as UAS. They told me there was nothing wrong with my vision! Got told I could join if I changed my degree and then I started to ask wether to go in as trades on not on here.

So yeah lots of career options in the RAF but the RAF is the only thing I will consider for a career. :biggrin:

A woman, in the Airforce, who'd of thought it :biggrin:

Hey if you've got in for pilot just go for it, a degree is something you can do at anytime, a pilot in the RAF isn't!!
Reply 15
What an insanely complex method of entry...!
Vladek
A woman, in the Airforce, who'd of thought it :biggrin:

Hey if you've got in for pilot just go for it, a degree is something you can do at anytime, a pilot in the RAF isn't!!

yes but I may as well get a degree while learning what the RAF is really like :smile: its only 2 more years anyway.
Wzz
What an insanely complex method of entry...!

Indeed! When I moved down to Bristol that seemed to be the general consensus at the afco! Ah well at least everything is alright now!
Reply 18
sublime_envy
Indeed! When I moved down to Bristol that seemed to be the general consensus at the afco! Ah well at least everything is alright now!

Well they must like ya to offer you that much stuff!
Reply 19
sublime_envy
yes but I may as well get a degree while learning what the RAF is really like :smile: its only 2 more years anyway.

Or rather what UAS life is like :wink:

I know a few guys who are ex-BUAS, and have been through there as holding officers in the not-so-distant past. Colerne's a bit of a dump, and it's a shame it's not an RAF station; the best UASs are the ones on front-line units. Places like Cosford or Wyton are ok, but you can't beat having some life around the bar like you do at Leuchars, Leeming or even Cranwell.

Latest

Trending

Trending