The Student Room Group

ThinkPad in the Sea of Macbooks at university.

I heard everyone uses Macbook so I am worried I will be the odd one with ThinkPad. Maybe people will form bad opinions about me.

Edit: I have already bought a ThinkPad. Should I return and buy a Mac?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nobody's really going to care. And those that do make a fuss about it, aren't worth wasting your time with anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by chocolate_fan
Nobody's really going to care. And those that do make a fuss about it, aren't worth wasting your time with anyway.

so I should keep it?
Original post by Tlon
so I should keep it?

Go with whichever you prefer. Personally I prefer using Windows operating systems, so I would keep it.
But the important thing, is don't change your laptop just because of what other people will think of it.
Nobody will judge you, if you current laptop is good enough just keep it!
Reply 5
Most people I see at uni don't have macbooks
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Most people I see at uni don't have macbooks

This isn't true at all, I see youtube vlogs and college campus pranks and literally all I see is Macbooks.
Reply 7
Original post by chocolate_fan
Go with whichever you prefer. Personally I prefer using Windows operating systems, so I would keep it.
But the important thing, is don't change your laptop just because of what other people will think of it.

I bought ThinkPad because I want to install Linux and do programming.
Original post by Tlon
I heard everyone uses Macbook so I am worried I will be the odd one with ThinkPad. Maybe people will form bad opinions about me.

Not everyone has a MacBook. They are a popular choice, but plenty (the majority) Of people use a windows model.

Just use the laptop that meets your needs, no need to change for the sake of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Tlon
I bought ThinkPad because I want to install Linux and do programming.

Stick with the ThinkPad mate, in 6 months when their laptop breaks because they got dust under the keyboard or spilt coffee on it you'll know you made the right choice. Also most people have Windows laptops a tablet of some kind, or just good old pen and paper
literally no one cares what laptop you have
I only judge people for having an apple computer, not for not having one :tongue:
Reply 12
Thank you all for the comments. They are reassuring. I'll definitely keep my ThinkPad now.
When is everyone planning to get their laptops and from where?
when i was at uni it was an even mix. these days, it depends on your course and uni tbh. Ive loads of uni students in london with surfaces and macs (personally i have owned both and prefer surface to macbook).
Original post by quasa
when i was at uni it was an even mix. these days, it depends on your course and uni tbh. Ive loads of uni students in london with surfaces and macs (personally i have owned both and prefer surface to macbook).

The last year or two Ive noticed surface's seem to be becoming much more popular.
Original post by Tlon

Are you being serious? You really care that much for others' supposed opinions on what computer you've chosen?
Original post by Tlon
This isn't true at all, I see youtube vlogs and college campus pranks and literally all I see is Macbooks.

how can that not be true??????????
Nobody cares - uni isn’t like high school. People do what they want there.
Most people on my course didnt have a macbook, apple computers are actually really awful for some courses like design as it is hard to install external software onto them like 3DSMax and Solidworks. There's a stereotype of designers using only apple computers but that has long since gone, most designers use windows now. Our university actually advised against purchasing apply computers for the software reason.
Nobody will care what computer you have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending