The Student Room Group

Do I have an addiction or mental illness?

-I know you might think this is a troll but trust me I am NOT a troll at all-
Basically for as long as I remember I have always had this weird habit where I would rub my fingers on my lips and especially corners of my lips and I would feel calm and relaxed. Its hard to explain. I still do it now. I mostly do it when i'm hungry or tired or bored. I try to stop but I can't, i'm literally addicted to doing this. Does anyone know what this could be and if I have any problems and also is there any health issues for doing that?
I didn't explain it very detailedly so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Nothing is wrong or weird anymore, so you do what you feel is right.
This could lead to sort of cracked corners (angelar chelitis) spots or cold sores. It's best to put vaseline on the corner of your mouth and wash your hands regularly.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Basically for as long as I remember I have always had this weird habit where I would rub my fingers on my lips and especially corners of my lips and I would feel calm and relaxed. Its hard to explain. I still do it now. I mostly do it when i'm hungry or tired or bored. I try to stop but I can't, i'm literally addicted to doing this. Does anyone know what this could be and if I have any problems and also is there any health issues for doing that?
I didn't explain it very detailedly so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

just a weird habit, i don't think you know what a mental illness is..
Original post by Anonymous

If it causes you physical damage and you are unable to provent yourself from doing it, you *may* have OCD. Obviously you should talk to a Dr about it.
Alot of research is/ has been done on the difference between behavioural addiction & OCD. Some researchers suggest that on a neurological basis there is little difference between the two.
Reply 5
Original post by glassalice
If it causes you physical damage and you are unable to provent yourself from doing it, you *may* have OCD. Obviously you should talk to a Dr about it.
Alot of research is/ has been done on the difference between behavioural addiction & OCD. Some researchers suggest that on a neurological basis there is little difference between the two.

thanks for not judging and yeah i might have ocd i have lots of symptoms

Quick Reply

Latest