The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Term 1, Year 1

ey up freshers
So term 1's almost over, how would you sum up your first experience of uni @ york? good? bad? completely indifferent? How would you rate your college life? Course?

Personally I'd say it started quite well, and went sort of downhill from thereon, mainly because work increased and initial excitement decayed away. Plus, now I have a cold. bah :frown:
College wise I'd say I was a teensy bit disappointed not to have really made a concrete friendship group, but glad to have met so many people collectively.
Course: I'm finding it hard as nails at the mo..! :eek:
General uni life: lovin' the independence... no rules, no parents. Meals at 1 AM? why not?! Binge eat peanut butter? go ahead!

anyone else?

(by the way, try peanut butter with banana... it's wicked)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kimoni
ey up freshers

Personally I'd say it started quite well, and went sort of downhill from thereon, mainly because work increased and initial excitement decayed away. Plus, now I have a cold. bah :frown:

Always happens. I only got 1 cold this term which I have now though because I'm away from all the virus's that flow around campus.

kimoni
College wise I'd say I was a teensy bit disappointed not to have really made a concrete friendship group, but glad to have met so many people collectively.

That's what spring term is for. I had no solid friends at the end of first term! The first term was just for crazy fun.
University of York
York
Reply 2
hmmmmm.

well, I can really say that although I haven't seen any of my family or friends from....the 'other home' while I've been here, I'm looking forward already to Spring term.
My course (English Language and Linguistics) has been fairly manageable so far, but I haven't been putting in at all as much work as I should be - I'll be forced to fairly soon, and I'm going to have to do so much revision over Christmas, but there we go. It okay and interesting so far.
As regards where I am and the people I'm with, I don't think I could have ended up much better. I've got a large room and kitchen and everything seems to work. I know a fairly amount of people on all floors of my block, and on any given night you'll probably find some people from each floor in a room together partaking of a fine ale or five. We really have forged a spirit of some kind, one that's related to our block more that to Langwith itself (just ask fellow block Aers on this forum, charlord and juno_the. The only blip happened two nights ago when Chris, who lives next to me, had his room broken into and his laptop, camera and wallet stolen. He's got insurance, so that's all cool, but it's worrying for those of us on the ground floor - the windows are so crap, you lean on them and they break (as Andrew found out already!). It's pretty scary that someone can get into your room that easily, and although I don't have anything of value myself, I still don't like the idea that someone has such easy acesss. We're going to see if we can get double glazing or wire mesh windows put in, although apparently that's a fire risk.

On the whole, I'm loving uni and have made some good friends. Rock and roll! :elefant:
personally im really happy after the first term here, didn't imagine that i would make as many great friends in 10 weeks as i have, i feel really lucky.
the course is good, bit too much work for my liking (!) but its pretty interesting so far, not looking forward to exams in january though!

but yeah, couldn't imagine being at uni anywhere else, york is fab :smile:
Reply 4
Absolutely detest my course, gonna do some serious thinking over christmas!
I'm really enjoying myself! Being a student is fantastic - ah the freedom!

The work can be a bit dull at times but I know that it'll get better next year when I can choose which modules I want to do.

York, although small, is a good place to be for uni. I feel safe when I go out at night as we're not too far from the campus and most people in the clubs are fellow students. It's great going to Toffs and Ziggys and seeing friends from your course/college.

I also haven't made any really close friends yet but that isn't a bad thing. Part of the fun of uni is finding your feet and experiencing new things. If you found your life friends in the first term then it would be a bit boring.
Reply 6
this is actually charlord.

ive had the best 10 weeks here. im so gutted to actually be going home.
as for the course - its really interesting and not that much amazingly hard work (maybe cus i only have 4 hours a week).
my room is huge...the college is gr8
the people ive met are awesome too: i actually do think ive made solid friends here. I definately agree with oldy when he talks about spirit - that fact all 4 floors get on so well has to say something "beeeerr fooorttt"

im gonna rip off a friend here when I sum up my first term...(he sent us all this in an email)

Dear All,

Is it the end? or is it just the beginning?

thanks for a great first term. it seems much longer than 10 weeks since we
started.
So, the term is over, the ducks are going home and the ferrets are back in the
minster. Looking back, i think the last 10 weeks can be summed up fairly easily:

Alcohol + Traffic cones + Disney + Take-aways + Bohemian Rhapsody + Ferrets -
Jetpack + Alan's stories + Santa Hats + The Final Countdown + lack of sleep +
Toxic + The Princess Bride = a great time!

Christmas warning: Due to Rudolph's recent illness, Santa will be not be using a
Sleigh this year. Instead he will be riding on the back of Falkor. Santa
apologises for any malted fur covering your roof on christmas day.

Enjoy a peaceful 3 weeks without "thud thud thud ..... Heigh Ho Heigh Ho"!!!!!!

Don't forget to turn the hob off

hooray for next term!! :elefant:
big_will

Dear All,

Is it the end? or is it just the beginning?

thanks for a great first term. it seems much longer than 10 weeks since we
started.
So, the term is over, the ducks are going home and the ferrets are back in the
minster. Looking back, i think the last 10 weeks can be summed up fairly easily:

Alcohol + Traffic cones + Disney + Take-aways + Bohemian Rhapsody + Ferrets -
Jetpack + Alan's stories + Santa Hats + The Final Countdown + lack of sleep +
Toxic + The Princess Bride = a great time!

Christmas warning: Due to Rudolph's recent illness, Santa will be not be using a
Sleigh this year. Instead he will be riding on the back of Falkor. Santa
apologises for any malted fur covering your roof on christmas day.

Enjoy a peaceful 3 weeks without "thud thud thud ..... Heigh Ho Heigh Ho"!!!!!!

Don't forget to turn the hob off

hooray for next term!! :elefant:

that really was such a great summary of our term, totally true! can't wait til next term too :smile:
Reply 8
Claireeek321
that really was such a great summary of our term, totally true! can't wait til next term too :smile:

likewise - i miss you all already!!!
:frown: :biggrin:
charlord
likewise - i miss you all already!!!
:frown: :biggrin:

me 2 :frown:
Reply 10
Loved the first 10 weeks, bit sad to be home tbh...

Contrary to what people have said, I've made some great friends in these 10 weeks *and* got myself a guy... bit of a *wham* life change kind of situation but I've definitely landed on my feet!

The course is good... well, it's interesting at least! Found some bits quite hard, and feel I haven't worked nearly as hard as I should have either... have exams starting on the first day back so eeeeeeek. But yeh, right choice I think.

ps. still not got insurance... but I think you might have spurred me into getting some :wink: my philosophy for the hols is if they are bothered so much to get into my room, all they'll find is a few clothes that cost almost nothing and I don't wear much, a few posters, some bedding and... an iron... woohoo, don't all jump at the chance at once. But yes, I'll get some for next term when you know, pricey stuff is returning. :smile:

oh and shut it you Langwith A'ers, you know that Derwent A block is far superior and feels no need to come on and monopolise these here boards :aetsch:
Reply 11
kitch

shut it you Langwith A'ers, you know that Derwent A block is far superior and feels no need to come on and monopolise these here boards :aetsch:

ey ey ey, less of that cheek! I think you need to come to Langy A and experience it for yourself!
I've been to Derwent A once. I was drunk.
absolutely! once you've been to Langy A block u never want to leave, it's that cool. i live in B block but once i came over to A, that was it, there was no going back!
:smile:
Reply 13
Claireeek321
absolutely! once you've been to Langy A block u never want to leave, it's that cool. i live in B block but once i came over to A, that was it, there was no going back!
:smile:

woooooo
we do rule..it is a fact. :hello:
Reply 14
It's been alright, hated fist course but changed to a lot better one, made some alright friends I suppose, OK city, never met so many utterly annoying ****s in my life though.
Reply 15
lol, what course?
Reply 16
CompSci to Physics (I know what you're thinking, but compared to compsci, physics really does seem amazing).
Reply 17
Im doing physics too, it really is full of annoying ****s, cant stand the course personally..
Reply 18
How about that. Even though the course does have its fair share, the ****s remark was more to do with the university in general (well, certain colleges at least). I'd move quick sharp if you're not liking the course though.
Reply 19
What did they say? Only course I can move to is maths I think, I spoke to my supervisor about it, she reckons I might enjoy physics more this term coming though, so I dunno what to do..

Latest

Trending

Trending