The Student Room Group

Worried about money when i start uni

so im applying for uni 2021 i've never had any income or job since after school and during college because I care for my sister who has autism when my parents are in work. When i start uni i need to catch a bus as i can't drive and go nobody else to help me. I have rent bills now as my parents have decided when i have uni money i will have to chip in, i have a phone bill and now board and lodge and i don't know if uni money will help me survive when studying.

I worry about money all the time , i dont buy myself anything or go and do things like anyone else because i know i will need this money to help me now in my last year of college before uni for my bus travel and board and lodge .I don't know what to do and wan to be able to start having a life now and do nice things cause i never have but i got expenses and bills to worry about and its getting me down cause i want to get my dream job but want a life at the same time
if youre parents expect you to pay for things yourself youll need to get a job. You can also apply for the maintenance loan.
Also if youre parents expect u to get a job you have to tell them you cant look after your sibling as its not ur responsibility if its the case that they want you to work.
I have an autistic sibling myself but if my parents made me work for the bills then id simply stop
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
if youre parents expect you to pay for things yourself youll need to get a job. You can also apply for the maintenance loan.
Also if youre parents expect u to get a job you have to tell them you cant look after your sibling as its not ur responsibility if its the case that they want you to work.
I have an autistic sibling myself but if my parents made me work for the bills then id simply stop

Thats the thing i cant work asim in full time college and as soon as im home my parents go to work they expect me to pay for everything . they ave 2 days off a week for work but are never home still its hard.
Thats the thing i cant work asim in full time college and as soon as im home my parents go to work they expect me to pay for everything . they ave 2 days off a week for work but are never home still its hard.

i know it sounds dumb, but what have they said when you simply havent paid any of it
so im applying for uni 2021 i've never had any income or job since after school and during college because I care for my sister who has autism when my parents are in work. When i start uni i need to catch a bus as i can't drive and go nobody else to help me. I have rent bills now as my parents have decided when i have uni money i will have to chip in, i have a phone bill and now board and lodge and i don't know if uni money will help me survive when studying.

I worry about money all the time , i dont buy myself anything or go and do things like anyone else because i know i will need this money to help me now in my last year of college before uni for my bus travel and board and lodge .I don't know what to do and wan to be able to start having a life now and do nice things cause i never have but i got expenses and bills to worry about and its getting me down cause i want to get my dream job but want a life at the same time

Have you considered moving out for university? You should talk to your parents about that, and, I would hope, that they'd be supportive. If not, you have a decision to make.

I’m sure you’ll be eligible for bursaries and maybe some scholarships at any of the unis was you decide to apply for, that’ll help with money quite a bit. Why do your parents make you pay for bills and stuff now? It’s a bit harsh imo.
Maybe start looking for a job just so you can have some money for you?
Check if your uni has any bursaries available that you can apply for and don't tell your parents if you get one.

Also double check if you can get a job, im not 100 % sure, but you i think as long as you can prove you have a certain number of uni hours a week then you might be able to get a job, unis will usally have ones where it's such as uni ambassador or TA once you in second Yr. But again I'm not 100% sure.

You should have enough money left over from loan if your parents aren't overcharging you. If you get a seasonal pass you might be able to save on transportation costs. But calculate everything and see how much loan you're entitled to so you have a better idea of how much money you gonna spend in uni.
Some ways to get money:

- Part-time jobs - retail and waiter jobs are very popular among students and offer lots of flexibility in terms of work hours
- Tutoring - can be done online too!
- University hardship funds and bursaries.

Hope this helps.
Unis will usually have free wifi around their campuses. Also you can use their library computers if you don't wanna buy a laptop. So you might be able to cut down or eliminate that phone bill
I think you need to talk to your parents and ask them how they are expecting you to find the money to pay rent when you’re caring for your sister full time. At university you will probably be elegible for grants/bursaries so look into these in advance so you know how and when to apply.

Most university timetables allow for students to work 1-2 days a week (May be at weekends) so this will help but bare in mind you will have to be very organised to juggle a job alongside uni and staying on top of your work.
acc you might just move out. There is uni accomodations which have all bills included, as once you leave then theyll start missing you,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending