The Student Room Group

Access to HE or Foundation Year, September 2020

Hey everyone, I am stuck between making a decision of whether to complete an Access Course this September or applying for a Foundation Year and, was wondering if anyone could offer any words of advice.

I completed my A2 Exams in 2018.

My circumstances during Sixth Form were not fantastic and unfortunately they did affect my final grades. I was very disappointed with my final grades, however, a couple of months prior to taking the Exams - I knew I was going to retake them anyways due to disruption caused by said circumstances.

(Side Note: Disregarding my 3rd A Level and my predicted and achieved grade for that - I was predicted A, A for both English Literature and Psychology but achieved C, E)

Past 2 years have been a lot better. I am very thankful to have come out of that low period but things have to kick start back up again.

This October, I was expecting to do retakes in these Exams (to gain higher grades for personal satisfaction and a higher chance at entrance to a Uni), however, over the past couple of weeks - I have been looking at other potential alternative routes (Thanks to the encouragement of a close friends mum).

These routes include taking an Access to HE in Humanities or taking a Foundation Year, to then enrol onto an English Literature Course at University.

I have contacted certain Unis asking if they would accept me on to their Foundation Courses this year. Despite UEA and Southampton saying no (I emailed other Universities but they have not replied yet, or no offence, weren't particularly helpful)- I found both of them very helpful in their responses of what I could do alternatively (The response from Southampton actually influenced me into looking down the Access to HE route).

With all that being said, my friends mum (irrelevant to mention: but she has just been so fantastic, encouraging, motivating etc with helping me contact universities and regaining confidence to go) suggested and said that UWE woukd accept me onto their English Lit Course.

My issue is that, as much as I would love to study for a Foundation Year this year, UWE wasn't a place I had in mind and - over the past week I was actually leaning more on the decision to take an Access to HE, so I could enrol onto a University that I preferred.

With all respects to UWE, I like the look of the University - just not for English Literature. During Sixth Form and now, I had Bristol and Southampton as my more ambitious options for their English Literature Courses (for their courses and location and reviews of their English schools) but I would be very happy to attend the English Schools at Surrey, UEA, Kent, Sussex or Royal Holloway.

I feel bad and don't want to be disrespectful towards UWE- I just hadn't took their course into consideration.

My question is basically: Should I just do a Foundation at UWE this year and enrol on to their English Literature Course September 2021 (if I work hard of course and achieve their entrance requirements) or, should I complete the appropriate Access to HE Diploma this year (in Humanities) and - with enough hard work and self study etc, gain the credits and distinctions, merits etc that will allow me on to my more preferred choice?

I know years and years down the line, maybe in my later 20s (I turn 20 in two days lol) - I'll look back on this and think that I shouldn't be as worried or as picky as I am being now but, I would just like to hear any other opinions.

Thanks so much for reading this post if you have. I hope you're doing well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Westengland24
Hey everyone, I am stuck between making a decision of whether to complete an Access Course this September or applying for a Foundation Year and, was wondering if anyone could offer any words of advice.

I completed my A2 Exams in 2018.

My circumstances during Sixth Form were not fantastic and unfortunately they did affect my final grades. I was very disappointed with my final grades, however, a couple of months prior to taking the Exams - I knew I was going to retake them anyways due to disruption caused by said circumstances.

(Side Note: Disregarding my 3rd A Level and my predicted and achieved grade for that - I was predicted A, A for both English Literature and Psychology but achieved C, E)

Past 2 years have been a lot better. I am very thankful to have come out of that low period but things have to kick start back up again.

This October, I was expecting to do retakes in these Exams (to gain higher grades for personal satisfaction and a higher chance at entrance to a Uni), however, over the past couple of weeks - I have been looking at other potential alternative routes (Thanks to the encouragement of a close friends mum).

These routes include taking an Access to HE in Humanities or taking a Foundation Year, to then enrol onto an English Literature Course at University.

I have contacted certain Unis asking if they would accept me on to their Foundation Courses this year. Despite UEA and Southampton saying no (I emailed other Universities but they have not replied yet, or no offence, weren't particularly helpful)- I found both of them very helpful in their responses of what I could do alternatively (The response from Southampton actually influenced me into looking down the Access to HE route).

With all that being said, my friends mum (irrelevant to mention: but she has just been so fantastic, encouraging, motivating etc with helping me contact universities and regaining confidence to go) suggested and said that UWE woukd accept me onto their English Lit Course.

My issue is that, as much as I would love to study for a Foundation Year this year, UWE wasn't a place I had in mind and - over the past week I was actually leaning more on the decision to take an Access to HE, so I could enrol onto a University that I preferred.

With all respects to UWE, I like the look of the University - just not for English Literature. During Sixth Form and now, I had Bristol and Southampton as my more ambitious options for their English Literature Courses (for their courses and location and reviews of their English schools) but I would be very happy to attend the English Schools at Surrey, UEA, Kent, Sussex or Royal Holloway.

I feel bad and don't want to be disrespectful towards UWE- I just hadn't took their course into consideration.

My question is basically: Should I just do a Foundation at UWE this year and enrol on to their English Literature Course September 2021 (if I work hard of course and achieve their entrance requirements) or, should I complete the appropriate Access to HE Diploma this year (in Humanities) and - with enough hard work and self study etc, gain the credits and distinctions, merits etc that will allow me on to my more preferred choice?

I know years and years down the line, maybe in my later 20s (I turn 20 in two days lol) - I'll look back on this and think that I shouldn't be as worried or as picky as I am being now but, I would just like to hear any other opinions.

Thanks so much for reading this post if you have. I hope you're doing well.

Be warned an English degree has one of the lowest average salaries post graduation, so it is a bit of a luxury, this is ever moreso if you take a uni lower down the food chain.. UEA is rated highly for English, so not surprised they said no.

Going through your options:
Foundation year will have the advantage of getting a loan plus enabling you to get onto a degree course if your grades are high enough.

I generally advise against foundation years as they use some of your HE finance up, which is limited and they are also expensive plus have limited flexibility.

Dies have the advantage you could be in a uni environment now, theres also limited scope for transfers to other unis if your marks are high enough. In general, you are restricted to the uni you took it at.

Resit A levels
A levels are the most flexible, accepted by everyone and would be the cheapest method. You already seem to be in a good position to do retakes. That said you only talk about two and you need 3. You would also need to up your grades significantly.
You can teach yourself as the cheapest method, but you would still need to pay for exam and centre fees. All depends what you think you cna get.

Access course
One year plus the arts one is the correct choice and if you get good grades then most unis will be open to you.
It is cheap because you can get a loan , which is written off if you complete your degree.
They arent as recognised by employers and some elite unis have additional requirements.
Cheaper and wouldnt be as restrictive as a foundation plus has more scope to get into a better uni.
Only takes a year and you would have the advantage of a tutor, class mates and no exam fees.

If I were in that position I would:
1. Get my MH firm sorted out.
2. Inb most cases decide against the FY as you dont wish to go there and it will be more expensive in the long run.
3. The A levels are a good choice but you really need 3 and it seems you want speed as well as support. I would prefer the A levels, but..
4. Probably in your situation I would do the Access with a view to geting the debt written off and in the knowledge if I knew I was capable then I could do well enough to get into my chosen uni in a year. there is no maint loan so you might need a pt job.
You would have a tutor as well which makes it easier plus no up front payments. Access courses can be intense, so you need to start as you mean to go on. On the balance of things this would be the choice, unless you could pull an A level from somewhere and knew you could get much beter grades in the 2.

That should be enough insight.
If you are going to do a degree and you have the ability to get better grades, then be patient, find your feed, get the better grades and go to the best uni you can plus the one you want to, even if it takes another year or 2. You only get one life.
@999tigger I can't thank you enough for your advice/insight, honestly. I'm really taking your last paragraph on board and I think the Access Course if the likely path I will take. Apologies for the silly question but could you clarify what you mean by "MH firm". Thanks again, I really appreciate your response.
Original post by Westengland24
@999tigger I can't thank you enough for your advice/insight, honestly. I'm really taking your last paragraph on board and I think the Access Course if the likely path I will take. Apologies for the silly question but could you clarify what you mean by "MH firm". Thanks again, I really appreciate your response.

I mean get your mental health sorted out.
Poor mental health means your personal life will be unduly difficult.
Your social life will be poor.
Your study ability will also be poor.

This follows all the way through to uni.
You allude to MH issues be it anxiety or depression? Which was it?
You need to get it under control, so it doesnt hold you back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending