The Student Room Group

Is CS Online Degrees from the UK worth it?

Hey folks,

I have been looking around the internet for the last two weeks and I stumbled upon your website. I'm from Spain and I have a BSc in CS, that I earned from a local Spanish accredited university. I've been working in the industry since 2016 and I'm thinking of continuing my higher education.

I have seen multiple degree options in the UK and the US that seems intriguing because it will allow to keep my current job, which I really like.

I have a lot of family in the US, some of my relatives were born there, so they pretty much know what they're talking about. They told me that an online masters degree from a respected university is absolutely great. The online program will live to the standards of its on campus counterpart. They have mentioned that there are lots of diploma mills but respected and known universities don't offer shady programs.

Now looking at the UK, the programs are a bit more affordable, which is a very attractive thing but I'm having some concerns. I have seen one or two British universities (one of them is ranked very highly in the QS rankings) that offer their online programs through a 3rd party American company. From the reviews I read seems like the postgraduate online school of this university is an absolute diploma mill.

I'm a bit confused because of this. How can a respected university cut such a deal?! that's absurd! but to be fair I have seen other very promising online master programs too. I'm having cold feet because I'm not sure if after paying loads of money for a certain university it won't cut a deal with a 3rd party diploma mill and all of its online degrees would lose value!!

Another thing that I'm a bit concerned about is that most online programs from the UK don't have on-campus alternative(even for highly rated online programs offered by very respected universities)

What do you guys think? is an online CS degree from the uk worth it?
any thoughts, guys?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending