The Student Room Group

Computer science at a worse uni or Chemistry at a better uni?

If I know I don't want a job in a lab, would a computer science degree at a university like bath be better than a chemistry with maths degree at a university like UCL?

When I say better I'm asking what is more employable.
Reply 1
Just out of interest, which one of them is supposed to be the 'Worse' uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Makro
Just out of interest, which one of them is supposed to be the 'Worse' uni?

i mean bath is definitely not a bad uni but i mean worse as in qs ranking. Im thinking from purely an employability standpoint
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by omgwha
i mean bath is definitely not a bad uni but i mean worse as in qs ranking. Im thinking from purely an employability standpoint

QS tend to favour older universities in larger cities. If you look at Complete university guide there is hardly any difference, Bath is an excellent newer university in a small city that offers one of the best work experiences in the UK. It has one of the best employment rates anywhere
Reply 4
Bath have just raised their entry requirements for CS because it was swamped with applications last year.
Its clearly not 'worse' at all.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Bath have just raised their entry requirements for CS because it was swamped with applications last year.

I see thanks, i was just told that russell groups are the way to go
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
QS tend to favour older universities in larger cities. If you look at Complete university guide there is hardly any difference, Bath is an excellent newer university in a small city that offers one of the best work experiences in the UK. It has one of the best employment rates anywhere

yeahhh the qs seems so inaccurate its literally just what university is most well known because ucl is so high on the qs ranking but way lower within the uk. the teaching (from my experience) is so atrocious.
Reply 7
Original post by omgwha
I see thanks, i was just told that russell groups are the way to go

RG is just a marketing concept - it means nothing beyond that.
Bath, St Andrews and several other top Unis are not part of it - it doesnt seem to have done their graduates any harm.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger

how hard would you say is it to get into bath then? would i be able to get in with 3a* in chem, bio and maths (achieved) but no fm ☹️
Reply 9
Original post by omgwha
how hard would you say is it to get into bath then? would i be able to get in with 3a* in chem, bio and maths (achieved) but no fm ☹️

There are no guarantees in life - but with top grades its definitely worth applying.
Have you looked at the detailed employment data for each specific course on the discover uni website?

Hardly any chem graduates end up working in labs (and university labs and research labs are different).
Reply 11
Original post by omgwha
If I know I don't want a job in a lab, would a computer science degree at a university like bath be better than a chemistry with maths degree at a university like UCL?

When I say better I'm asking what is more employable.

Chemistry leads to a thousand different careers - Where can a chemistry degree from Bath take you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending