The Student Room Group

What's it like being a Mental Health Support Worker?

Hi, I am about to finish my Psychology Masters and I need a year of clinical experience to move on to the next step of my education. I don't have much previous experience so it looks like I may have to work in a mental health hospital or a care home.

I already have some interviews set up but I am really nervous about working in such an intense environment where I will probably see horrible things. I'm also worried about the toll that 12 hour shifts will have on me. Does anyone have any experience or advice as a support worker?

Also, any interview tips? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yungchi
Hi, I am about to finish my Psychology Masters and I need a year of clinical experience to move on to the next step of my education. I don't have much previous experience so it looks like I may have to work in a mental health hospital or a care home.

I already have some interviews set up but I am really nervous about working in such an intense environment where I will probably see horrible things. I'm also worried about the toll that 12 hour shifts will have on me. Does anyone have any experience or advice as a support worker?

Also, any interview tips? :smile:

I would like to preface this with that I am not a mental health support worker.

However, I do work 12hr shifts in healthcare. When I first started the 12hr shifts, they were grueling and tough. However, you do get used to it after a while and you gradually start to enjoy the fact you will only work three 12hr days rather than five 8 hr days. There are pros and cons to both, but I found that I kind of enjoyed working 3 days a week.

As for what it is like? I believe this documentary (linked here - BBC iplayer) is really good and provides a good insight into what psych wards are like (incase the link doesn't work, it is 'Stacey Dooley, inside the psych ward'). I personally found the documentary very insightful.
I used to work 10 hour shifts (which with OT often became 12 hour shifts). Best shift pattern I ever worked, even having to get up at 5am for the early shifts. Working 4 days a week was amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest