The Student Room Group

Psychology graduates help me

Hi all,

I will be graduating next month and I was wondering how to get paid experience as a assistant psychologists? It’s so so hard plus I am set back because during COVID I was unable to do a placement year. If you saw my other post you know I’m confused on what to do, I really want some experience to know if I’m going into the right field.

If anyone has/ had a assistant psychologist position please tell me some tips.
Reply 1
Original post by Maryammiah1301
Hi all,

I will be graduating next month and I was wondering how to get paid experience as a assistant psychologists? It’s so so hard plus I am set back because during COVID I was unable to do a placement year. If you saw my other post you know I’m confused on what to do, I really want some experience to know if I’m going into the right field.

These roles are extremely competitive, so you will likely need to look into other roles to get a bit more relevant experience before you will be considered for an AP role. For example, you could look at mental health support work roles, drug and alcohol recovery work, roles in mental health charities etc. You could also consider further training, such as a master's degree or professional training in counselling or as a psychological wellbeing practitioner.
As Nerol has already commented, support worker/HCA roles are a brilliant way of getting experience - the organisation I work for value those already with experience as HCAs in the company over anyone else.
Hi all,

Hello there

I have just graduated in psychology, but was able to spend a 6 months working in the NHS. In the time I came across a lot of APs, and most of them had years of experience, and/or a masters degree. This is due to, as mentioned by the others above, AP roles being super competitive. I would also suggest that you look for similar roles and placements in other health care settings like the others mentioned. You could also contact some NHS trusts and see if they will support you with gaining experience. This may mean unpaid placements or experiences, but all experience is good experience.

The main skills that could help your AP applications is clinical experience, data handling, care experience. All these could make you a very useful AP.

Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any further questions
Adam - Uni of Kent Rep
Hi all,

Probably the biggest tip I can give you is to talk to some APs and find out a) what their role entails and what they need to have in order to do it, b) figure out how you realistically measure up if you were to go up against them for a job interview. There is an idea that you can go straight to certain positions from university, but often it is not realistic and grads have no idea how skilled applicants are for those posts.

Quick Reply

Latest