The Student Room Group

How safe is it to live in shared flat?

I'm going to study at the University of Manchester, and I've applied for university accommodation. Recently I was informed that I have been allocated to Whitworth Park, which is in single study bedrooms, with shared kitchen, lounge and bathroom in each flat. Do you think it is safe to live in?
Why wouldn't it be?
Original post by Yi-Tong
I'm going to study at the University of Manchester, and I've applied for university accommodation. Recently I was informed that I have been allocated to Whitworth Park, which is in single study bedrooms, with shared kitchen, lounge and bathroom in each flat. Do you think it is safe to live in?

It should be quite safe, if you have any concerns get some contents insurance and don't get very expensive kitchen stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Why wouldn't it be?

Sorry for my unclear question!

I'm mainly concerned about the hygiene in the shared flat because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It's unclear how social distance and other policy will operate, so it makes me worried.
Original post by Yi-Tong

I'm mainly concerned about the hygiene in the shared flat because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It's unclear how social distance and other policy will operate, so it makes me worried.

Just clean up after yourselves, wash your hands regularly. Don't cough over everything etc. You know, all the good manners and hygeine people supposedly had before covid. If you're moving to student accommodation and going to university, you're going to have to start getting used to things like this.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
It should be quite safe, if you have any concerns get some contents insurance and don't get very expensive kitchen stuff.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm sorry that I asked a misleading question. I'm mainly concerned about the hygiene in the shared flat because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But still thank you for your advice!
Original post by Yi-Tong
Thank you for your reply!

I'm sorry that I asked a misleading question. I'm mainly concerned about the hygiene in the shared flat because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But still thank you for your advice!

follow good hand hygiene and clean your dishes and the bathroom often and you should be able to keep the risk down :smile:
Original post by Yi-Tong

Hey @Yi-Tong!

Universities are doing everything they can to put measures in place to keep everyone as safe as possible - I'm sure that you will probably hear from your uni soon but it might be a case of only the people who live in your flat are allowed in.
And as long as you keep everything clean and wipe down surfaces before/after using them you should be alright :smile:

I hope this makes you feel a bit better about moving in!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 8
i live in student accommodation shared flat. my two flatmates leave a pigsty in the kitchen and in the past have broken social distancing rules (friends over) on more than one occasion. i would suggest that -

1) you speak to your flatmates immediately about your concern about catching covid and cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen. it's not like it's an unreasonable request, but you must set the ground rules early. you leave it too long and they will develop bad habits and it'll be harder to reason with them.

2) do not be afraid to report them to your landlord if they're breaking social distancing. unis are going to be extra extra precautious to set the ground rules early as well to prevent things from getting out of control. your landlord can speak to them without them knowing it was you reporting (cuz there's CCTV).
Have your own dishes and cutlery given your concerns. Agree about the contents insurance. Wear a face covering in areas where you feel social distancing cannot be maintained.
Original post by Yi-Tong

ahahhha same will u accept the offer? i had the same concern and mum told me (whos a doctor) nah this age group is fine and even if i get it i will most prob undergo it lightly, still yeah im kinda worrying too but the whole situation is worrying so i feel like there is not much to do
Original post by Yi-Tong

It might be different at Manchester, but where I'm going, it you have a shared space, (eg. kitchen, bathroom etc) the you'll count as a household so you won't have to socially distance. Idk how it'll work for studios yet, but that doesn't apply to you.
My dad and his wife are nurses, and they said that the most important thing is to wash your hands regularly and properly, as that's the no. 1 way diseases are spread. You can also wear masks (we have to at certain points) and use hand sanitiser.
Reply 12
Original post by Joleee
i live in student accommodation shared flat. my two flatmates leave a pigsty in the kitchen and in the past have broken social distancing rules (friends over) on more than one occasion. i would suggest that -

1) you speak to your flatmates immediately about your concern about catching covid and cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen. it's not like it's an unreasonable request, but you must set the ground rules early. you leave it too long and they will develop bad habits and it'll be harder to reason with them.

2) do not be afraid to report them to your landlord if they're breaking social distancing. unis are going to be extra extra precautious to set the ground rules early as well to prevent things from getting out of control. your landlord can speak to them without them knowing it was you reporting (cuz there's CCTV).

Thank you for sharing!
small question did u end up accepting the offer
Reply 14
Original post by silaozer
small question did u end up accepting the offer

Yes, I did.
Sorry for the delayed response!
Original post by Yi-Tong
Yes, I did.
Sorry for the delayed response!

ah ok i accepted wh park as well see u there sorry for even more delayed response
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending