The Student Room Group

EPQ

So I begin sixth form in a few weeks, and I am aiming for A in my EPQ, does anyone have any tips like do's and don'ts, essay structures to use or avoid? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

First of all make sure you want to an EPQ and if it will really help you or not. EPQ is extremely difficult and time consuming and in my case (for medicine) it doesn't help much. So if you're sure, then you need to make sure your question has some sort of debate to it. Something where you can argue two or more sides so that the essay is evaluative. You need to make sure it's not descriptive. Remember that your essay doesn't count for that many marks compared to your production log. So you should really focus on the planning part of your EPQ. You really have to show your thought process throughout the project and be reflective in order to gain the most marks. And for more specific advice, make sure to extensively research your topic once you've made a plan. I don't know if I have really answered your question, so good luck and make sure to ask if you have more specific questions!
hey! i just did an EPQ in year 12 and i'm so pleased i did - i was reluctant at first, but honestly it is so helpful for your writing and essay skills, as well as improving your researching and referencing skills!

for do's:
- keep on top of your work! making use of lessons and free time well is essential, it really helps you get ahead as the researching process often takes a lot longer than you expect!
- pick a topic you like!! you'll be spending most of the year on it, so you need to enjoy it or have an interest in the subject matter
- make sure you also keep track of the sites/articles/videos that you use - it's so annoying when you can't find the source later on - and making a resource log is the perfect way to do this! everyone does it differently, but it's useful to record the title, author, publication date, URL and any additional info

for don'ts:
- don't stress out about the word count. chances are, you'll meet the word count (and go over it!) but it's definitely easier to delete words than add them at the end!
- don't neglect your production log - a large number of your marks will come from here and it's easier to improve this than the essay!
- don't overwork yourself. stress only produces worse writing and it's easier to finish an essay if you're in a positive mindset!

i thought i'd also add some websites that i found useful when i was doing my research as i wish i knew about these earlier:
- core.ac.uk - for research papers
- google scholar - can access some good journals and articles
- jstor - also for research articles/journals. just create a free account to access some of them
- also university websites can have some useful info

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending