The Student Room Group

Results Downgraded

Scroll to see replies

Okay so I called my firm who offered me the course with foundation year and told them I will be appealing my grades and really do not want to do a foundation year (im only 8 Ucas points off from their entry requirements) and they basically told me to ask my college how long the appeals would take and I said its not clear yet but probably will take more than 5 days. I basically an email from my firm when the course was changed from full course to foundation year saying 'Please note if you have another application with another University you will need to wait until they have made their confirmation decisions before you can accept our offer. It is important that you do this within the next 5 days otherwise our offer will expire, and you will no longer have a place here.' so I basically have 5 days to get my appeals back? My firm told me 'universities don't hold offers and to call back on open day and ask the academic staff there about my options?
I even mentioned 'aren't universities meant to hold offers until 7th September' and she kinda brushed it off and said you basically have 5 days to make your mind up of where you want to go

I am defeated lol
Original post by aisharaindrop
Okay so I called my firm who offered me the course with foundation year and told them I will be appealing my grades and really do not want to do a foundation year (im only 8 Ucas points off from their entry requirements) and they basically told me to ask my college how long the appeals would take and I said its not clear yet but probably will take more than 5 days. I basically an email from my firm when the course was changed from full course to foundation year saying 'Please note if you have another application with another University you will need to wait until they have made their confirmation decisions before you can accept our offer. It is important that you do this within the next 5 days otherwise our offer will expire, and you will no longer have a place here.' so I basically have 5 days to get my appeals back? My firm told me 'universities don't hold offers and to call back on open day and ask the academic staff there about my options?
I even mentioned 'aren't universities meant to hold offers until 7th September' and she kinda brushed it off and said you basically have 5 days to make your mind up of where you want to go

I am defeated lol
Can you share the name of the university? You've been told some incorrect information here. :frown: As PQ said universities have to hold their offers for you if you are appealing and can do so until 7th September. (This won't always appear as such on UCAS Track though.)

You don't have 5 days to get your appeal back because the new appeals process hasn't even been released yet. Ring up your firm and tell them you will be appealing your grades, and that you will inform them of any changes to the grade so that your offer may be reinstated upon a successful appeal.

The question you need to ask yourself is in the event that your grades stay the same, what do you want to do? You can accept the foundation course if you want or you can look for other options in clearing, is your insurance offer still within reach for you though? Sorting this bit out is today's job for you. :smile: There's no reason why you can't accept the foundation course while appealing for the grades for the original course. :nah: In that scenario if the appeal grades are changes to the ones you need then you just ring up the uni and they swap your course. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Can you share the name of the university? You've been told some incorrect information here. :frown: As PQ said universities have to hold their offers for you if you are appealing and can do so until 7th September. (This won't always appear as such on UCAS Track though.)

You don't have 5 days to get your appeal back because the new appeals process hasn't even been released yet. Ring up your firm and tell them you will be appealing your grades, and that you will inform them of any changes to the grade so that your offer may be reinstated upon a successful appeal.

The question you need to ask yourself is in the event that your grades stay the same, what do you want to do? You can accept the foundation course if you want or you can look for other options in clearing, is your insurance offer still within reach for you though? Sorting this bit out is today's job for you. :smile: There's no reason why you can't accept the foundation course while appealing for the grades for the original course. :nah: In that scenario if the appeal grades are changes to the ones you need then you just ring up the uni and they swap your course. :smile:

Sheffield Hallam
And I asked this question on another forum and someone replied with https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/unconditional-changed-course so the 5 days is valid? This is confusing me now lol, I'm being told different things!
I still have my insurance with a unconditional offer.
What do you recommend I do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by OW432
If we do manage to appeal successfully to upgrade, would it be too late to secure our firm uni place if the application has already been unsuccessful?

It will be deferred entry at the top unis otherwise no
Sheffield Hallam
And I asked this question on another forum and someone replied with https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/unconditional-changed-course so the 5 days is valid? This is confusing me now lol, I'm being told different things!
I still have my insurance with a unconditional offer.
What do you recommend I do?

That's 5 days to accept a change of course offer. :smile:
You can go through with this while telling them that you're appealing your grades.

Essentially your choice now is:
- Assuming I don't get the grades from the appeal, would I prefer this foundation course at my firm uni, my insurance choice, or neither and go into clearing?
You can make that change on UCAS today.
If you're appealing, then your original firm offer won't stay up on UCAS, it'll just be reinstated if your grades change. :smile:
Does this make a bit more sense now?
Original post by 04MR17
That's 5 days to accept a change of course offer. :smile:
You can go through with this while telling them that you're appealing your grades.

Essentially your choice now is:
- Assuming I don't get the grades from the appeal, would I prefer this foundation course at my firm uni, my insurance choice, or neither and go into clearing?
You can make that change on UCAS today.
If you're appealing, then your original firm offer won't stay up on UCAS, it'll just be reinstated if your grades change. :smile:
Does this make a bit more sense now?

Both my firm and insurance said I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire? If I don't get the grades from the appeal, can I still go to my insurance as I don't want to do a foundation year? Im confused because im being told I have 5 days to make my mind up then im being told I have until 7th September. Obviously if I wait for the appeal to come back, it will be past 5 days and I don't want to risk losing both my firm and insurance and be put into clearing
Both my firm and insurance said I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire? If I don't get the grades from the appeal, can I still go to my insurance as I don't want to do a foundation year? Im confused because im being told I have 5 days to make my mind up then im being told I have until 7th September. Obviously if I wait for the appeal to come back, it will be past 5 days and I don't want to risk losing both my firm and insurance and be put into clearing

I can see where the confusion is coming from because this is a tricky scenario. :smile:
Is your insurance offer for the same course as what it was before results day?

The decision you need to make is whether you want to accept Sheffield Hallam's change of course or not.
This is completely separate to the appeals process. You can still appeal your grades and then get back to your original firm offer if you get the grades you need by 7th September, regardless of whether you accept or reject Hallam's offer to change your course. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I can see where the confusion is coming from because this is a tricky scenario. :smile:
Is your insurance offer for the same course as what it was before results day?

The decision you need to make is whether you want to accept Sheffield Hallam's change of course or not.
This is completely separate to the appeals process. You can still appeal your grades and then get back to your original firm offer if you get the grades you need by 7th September, regardless of whether you accept or reject Hallam's offer to change your course. :smile:

My insurance offer is still the same, that was always unconditional.
So if I accept my insurance now and my appeal comes back before 7th September and I have higher grades, I'll still have the chance to go to Hallam WITHOUT the foundation year? Even if I declined their offer when accepting my insurance?
I’m still in shock I honestly can’t even fathom what’s happened everyone’s saying independent schools have done better but my whole physics set were downgraded by two grades I was given BCD (Econ,maths,physics)and predicted AAA and now I’m in clearing .I need an A to take any maths related subject at uni because it’s MATHS and they give me a bloody C.I got an A in my maths mock and was close to an A* I wish I hadn’t just crashed revise the night before but I had problems then, so I’m going to appeal and focus Mostly on that but I am appealing all my grades .Ill have a spot at my firm for my original course if I can do this.But I feel really down even if I get in I feel like a second class citizen I had to leave all the group chats for my firm specifically the university gc for maths they all got A* A and I feel like crap .The WhatsApp gc was changed to confirmed and once I saw that I left I just feel so down .Who will take me with a C I want to take Actuarial Science originally but I’m also looking at Financial Mathematics.I have my heart set on Manchester there’s no where else I feel I can go
(edited 3 years ago)
My insurance offer is still the same, that was always unconditional.
So if I accept my insurance now and my appeal comes back before 7th September and I have higher grades, I'll still have the chance to go to Hallam WITHOUT the foundation year? Even if I declined their offer when accepting my insurance?
Yes, but you need to inform Hallam today that you're going to appeal. They'll tick a box in their spreadsheet to say you might be coming back and then things will continue as normal.

It might be polite to also phone up your insurance offer and explain that you may phone up at a later date asking them to release you owing to a grade appeal going in your favour and your firm offer being reinstated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Yes, 100%.

Okay thank you so much for clearing up the confusion!
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay thank you so much for clearing up the confusion!
See my post edit :smile: :yy:
Original post by abbeygyal23
I’m still in shock I honestly can’t even fathom what’s happened everyone’s saying independent schools have done better but my whole physics set were downgraded by two grades I was given BCD (Econ,maths,physics)and predicted AAA and now I’m in clearing .I need an A to take any maths related subject at uni because it’s MATHS and they give me a bloody C.I got an A in my maths mock and was close to an A* I wish I hadn’t just crashed revise the night before but I had problems then, so I’m going to appeal and focus Mostly on that but I am appealing all my grades .Ill have a spot at my firm for my original course if I can do this.But I feel really down even if I get in I feel like a second class citizen I had to leave all the group chats for my firm specifically the university gc for maths they all got A* A and I feel like crap .The WhatsApp gc was changed to confirmed and once I saw that I left I just feel so down .Who will take me with a C I want to take Actuarial Science originally but I’m also looking at Financial Mathematics.I have my heart set on Manchester there’s no where else I feel I can go
There are courses in Maths, Actuarial science etc. That will take Cs. Look in the UCAS Clearing search tool. :smile: If you can phone up as many of these today you should be able to receive some offers for you to consider over the weekend. :yep:

Have you spoken to your school about the possibility of appealing? If not, do that right now before lunch today.

All of the things I've said in my above posts apply to you (particularly post #13, please read it).

You aren't a second class citizen. You are brilliant and wonderful and resilient and you are going to get through this. :dumbells:

Now let's do this!
Original post by 04MR17
There are courses in Maths, Actuarial science etc. That will take Cs. Look in the UCAS Clearing search tool. :smile: If you can phone up as many of these today you should be able to receive some offers for you to consider over the weekend. :yep:

Have you spoken to your school about the possibility of appealing? If not, do that right now before lunch today.

All of the things I've said in my above posts apply to you (particularly post #13, please read it).

You aren't a second class citizen. You are brilliant and wonderful and resilient and you are going to get through this. :dumbells:

Now let's do this!

I have spoken to my school we have a special appeal team in school and email so yesterday I gave them the necessary details however I am going to phone them up today letting them know I received an email from firm basically specifying to keep my place as soon as the appeal is put forward they need to contact the relevant people .
I’m finding this very hard :frown:
I had so many hopes
Original post by 04MR17
See my post edit :smile: :yy:

So I just got off call with my firm and they said you can accept your insurance and when your grades come back higher then you will need to find out if your course is still in clearing at Hallam, if it is, I can reapply to that without the foundation year, if its not I can stay at your insurance OR I can accept Hallam's offer and if my appeal comes back with higher grades, I can change the foundation to the full course and if not I'd have to do the foundation year.
I think that seems about right
Original post by abbeygyal23
I have spoken to my school we have a special appeal team in school and email so yesterday I gave them the necessary details however I am going to phone them up today letting them know I received an email from firm basically specifying to keep my place as soon as the appeal is put forward they need to contact the relevant people .
I’m finding this very hard :frown:
I had so many hopes

I know it's not easy. :heart: I didn't get my firm a few years ago after some considerable hoping or dreaming but it will be okay. There is No Wrong Path. :smile: Today is about making options for yourself, getting offers in clearing, making sure the possibility of a grade change following an appeal is an open possibility and giving yourself as wide a choice as you can. :yes:
So I just got off call with my firm and they said you can accept your insurance and when your grades come back higher then you will need to find out if your course is still in clearing at Hallam, if it is, I can reapply to that without the foundation year, if its not I can stay at your insurance OR I can accept Hallam's offer and if my appeal comes back with higher grades, I can change the foundation to the full course and if not I'd have to do the foundation year.
I think that seems about right

I *think* that adds up yes, but my brain is a little fried this morning (as you can probably imagine yesterday was quite a busy one :redface:).
Original post by 04MR17
I *think* that adds up yes, but my brain is a little fried this morning (as you can probably imagine yesterday was quite a busy one :redface:).

Honestly, thank you for answering all my questions, I was so confused! 🥰
Original post by prok999
I don't know how many of you are facing this, but I know many (including me) who have results downgraded.

I have got 4A* in school mocks, and I always remained a consistent performer at school. I don't believe my eyes today my board gave me CDDD. that's a huge difference..how's it possible? I feel like dying....my uni dreams are crashed, they've very short deadline for applications. I don't know what to do. Most of my friends are undergoing the same situation.

how can they just do anything with us? they are enjoying the lottery, turning many of us into paupers...

My life isn't just a joke.

Are you a private school person?
Original post by Soph58
I might have to but that’s mean reapplying again with extra students for 2021 entry

I believe universities have been told to honour students’ offers this year for 2021 entry based on the condo on that thou meet your offer either through appealing or taking exams in October. Maybe it was just a tomorrow but call up your firm or insurance and ask if they will honour you for next year?

Quick Reply

Latest