The Student Room Group

2023 Results Day

After being predicted nothing but A*s and As for the whole of sixth form, I was crushed to open my letter on results day to see three Bs and one A*. I know it doesn’t sound terrible, but this meant I missed my offer to Oxford which has always been a dream. Both English Lit and English Lang, which I was predicted two A*s, I fell short in by two grades. My teachers and family are shocked. I had some serious extenuating circumstances that did distract me at the time of exams, but the exam board were notified of these and personally I didn’t feel like I had gone from the 60/60 I was getting in English Lit to the 34/60 i ended up with. I’ve sent in all of my English papers to be remarked in desperation - has anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
My goodness I am so sorry to hear this; I can totally relate (not on the oxford offer tho aha no seriously well done for achieving that alone!) in terms of being crushed after opening the results, I was predicted 3 A*s for economics, applied to cambridge (but didn't get in) and received ABB this morning. I actually ended up not getting into any 5 of my unis and I was just too distraught to go into clearing.
For real it is crazy it's reckless. My advice however would be to keep your head up, make sure that you do go over all the possible options that you've got (I know it's generic but do) but mainly in this case, if you haven't already try asap to get in touch with your college's admit officer, or get your school to do it, and get on the phone to them. Explain and reinforce to them any your extenuating circumstances which may have lead the exams to go this way; and on top of how these exams were brutal in general too maybe. Tell them over the phone how much work and reading you've done for your A levels, almost like your selling yourself as you would do in an interview perhaps
Thank you - I’ve contacted my Oxford college but that fell through unfortunately. All I can do is wait on a remark, and if that doesn’t work, resit next year and reapply 😔. Thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JVorJrose
My goodness I am so sorry to hear this; I can totally relate (not on the oxford offer tho aha no seriously well done for achieving that alone!) in terms of being crushed after opening the results, I was predicted 3 A*s for economics, applied to cambridge (but didn't get in) and received ABB this morning. I actually ended up not getting into any 5 of my unis and I was just too distraught to go into clearing.
For real it is crazy it's reckless. My advice however would be to keep your head up, make sure that you do go over all the possible options that you've got (I know it's generic but do) but mainly in this case, if you haven't already try asap to get in touch with your college's admit officer, or get your school to do it, and get on the phone to them. Explain and reinforce to them any your extenuating circumstances which may have lead the exams to go this way; and on top of how these exams were brutal in general too maybe. Tell them over the phone how much work and reading you've done for your A levels, almost like your selling yourself as you would do in an interview perhaps

Hey there, so sorry to hear about your results and how they are not a true reflection of your hard work and effort for the past two years. Despite this, please remain optimistic and proud of your current grades as in the long term your commitment to your degree will make up for the rejection of the higher grade and this years deflation.
I have also worked so hard and for literature with Aqa despite achieving grade A* in my mocks only 2 months before and an A in my coursework, resulted in an outcome of a C which I too was so disheartened by. Sadly too, my coursework was down marked and to have it checked again will cost too much so I am in a similar stance, however despite being rejected by all of my Russel group universities I have gained a place at another university not the major firms, but still great to study my passion for the subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Balbkablablama
Thank you - I’ve contacted my Oxford college but that fell through unfortunately. All I can do is wait on a remark, and if that doesn’t work, resit next year and reapply 😔. Thank you for the advice :smile:

ahh apologies for that but no problem. I hope everything works out in the end for real
Reply 5
Original post by BUNNYXO
Hey there, so sorry to hear about your results and how they are not a true reflection of your hard work and effort for the past two years. Despite this, please remain optimistic and proud of your current grades as in the long term your commitment to your degree will make up for the rejection of the higher grade and this years deflation.
I have also worked so hard and for literature with Aqa despite achieving grade A* in my mocks only 2 months before and an A in my coursework, resulted in an outcome of a C which I too was so disheartened by. Sadly too, my coursework was down marked and to have it checked again will cost too much so I am in a similar stance, however despite being rejected by all of my Russel group universities I have gained a place at another university not the major firms, but still great to study my passion for the subjects.

I'm taken aback by this I was not expecting it! Wow, thank you so so much for this, seriously. It means a lot for real
Oh nooo for real?!?!! Omg isn't it??!?!!! A*s in mock exams only to be downgraded so unprecedentedly, it's awful. And yesss oml, the costs involved in remarking, like ffs it is so annoying. aww dam you have a good heart though and high spirit, trust me wherever you go; with that passion and drive that you have for your subjects, you will excel above and beyond what you would have done at the russell groups🟣💫💯
Reply 6
Aww thank you so much, i also found out later that my coursework for english has not been scaled accurately, which i am hoping that after my papers are clerically re-checked they will realise their mistake. I was at first very upset that i missed out my offers, into all of the russel groups but now after reflection i am happy that a university has accepted me to study on into degree level. Also, please do not feel so heavy as despite my current grades in the future i can always resit and achieve the grades i have achieved for the past two years.
As most universities are competitive, such as Oxbridge they do not take into account your academic consistency over a wider period, and will harshly reject you as such, but please remain hopefuly and optimistic you will too thrive with your great essay skills and passion.
All the best xx.
Reply 7
Your welcome! Ohh frrr– ahh wow it's literally shame on them for not doing it right first time, smh. ahh I totally hear you on that one but yes exactly! Ik it's cliché but everything has happened for a reason true say, and when you smash it at university and get a first class:wink: you'll be in a much better position that you every would have been in. yeahh I hear that still that's a fair point fr
worddd oxbridge and some of those other institutions won't acknowledge them you're right, but thank you so much too for these kind words you know; ahh wishing you all the best too!💫💎✨

Quick Reply

Latest