The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE subject combination

Hi,

I really want to do economics at LSE in the future. My school offers economics a level but the teachers are awful and I will probably get a low grade.

If I don’t take economics a level will my chances of getting in decrease?

I am thinking of doing maths, physics, further maths + one more a level. Other than economics, what subject would you guys suggest as the fourth a level?

Sorry ik this was a bit of a ramble, any help will be much appreciated 😊
The LSE course pages have very detailed information about what they look at to decide who gets an offer
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Maths and Further Maths are essential. Physics is a very common subject among Econ students at LSE.

LSE also likes applicants to have at least one subject that demonstrates writing ability - for most applicants, this will be Economics, but other possibilities are History, Politics, English lit etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I really want to do economics at LSE in the future. My school offers economics a level but the teachers are awful and I will probably get a low grade.

If I don’t take economics a level will my chances of getting in decrease?

I am thinking of doing maths, physics, further maths + one more a level. Other than economics, what subject would you guys suggest as the fourth a level?

Sorry ik this was a bit of a ramble, any help will be much appreciated 😊

Hi, please refer to the subject combination guidance on the programme page. It is not a requirement to take A level Economics in order to be considered for BSc Economics at LSE. A combination of Maths, Further Maths and an essay based subject is recommended.
Reply 4
Original post by LSE
Hi, please refer to the subject combination guidance on the programme page. It is not a requirement to take A level Economics in order to be considered for BSc Economics at LSE. A combination of Maths, Further Maths and an essay based subject is recommended.

Hi, is geography considered an essay based subject?
Reply 5
Original post by LSE

Hi there, I have the subject combination Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A Level and EPQ at AS. Would the EPQ indicate my essay writing ability? Or would I be at a disadvantage to someone who has perhaps taken an essay subject at A Level?
Reply 6
Original post by r_dhami
Hi there, I have the subject combination Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A Level and EPQ at AS. Would the EPQ indicate my essay writing ability? Or would I be at a disadvantage to someone who has perhaps taken an essay subject at A Level?

Assessors prefer to see an essay based A level subject alongside a combination of maths and further maths. Assessors will refer to the information supplied in your Personal Statement for evidence of essay writing ability, but you may be less competitively considered than an applicant who offers an A level essay based subject. We are unable to make this judgement prior to reviewing your complete UCAS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending