The Student Room Group

Medical Protection Society?

I've been receiving emails from UCAS advertising things for starting medical school this year, including free membership to the Medical Protection Society, which I looked up and is a non-profit helping healthcare professionals with medical and legal issues.

It's free, so I'm inclined to go for it, but has anyone used them before? Is this protection something I need and/or especially worth having? Is this the best company to be protected by?

I don't really know any doctors or med students IRL so I'm just not entirely sure if this is something I need and if this is the company I should go with if I do, basically. Thanks!
PRSOM :smile:

So effectively the amount they charge increases over time/as you go down the medical training ladder (and your risk of being sued increases)?

Sounds like as a medical student it's worth having though (and probably continuing with in the future). I'll look into MDU and MDDUS as I'd not heard of them and decide which one seems best! MPS is also offering the chance to enter a prize draw to win your tuition fees for a year, so I might just go off of the perks each one is offering at the moment (even if that may be a bit silly!), and check for overseas cover as I'd like to do an elective abroad.

Thanks!
If you wait until freshers they usually offer you to sign up there with some goodies as well. There are also reps there you can talk to which might be helpful. :wink:
Original post by bhjt777888
If you wait until freshers they usually offer you to sign up there with some goodies as well. There are also reps there you can talk to which might be helpful. :wink:

Thanks! Looking at the email there’s no time limit on joining so I might wait until freshers then! (Assuming it happens this year...)
Original post by becausethenight
I've been receiving emails from UCAS advertising things for starting medical school this year, including free membership to the Medical Protection Society, which I looked up and is a non-profit helping healthcare professionals with medical and legal issues.

It's free, so I'm inclined to go for it, but has anyone used them before? Is this protection something I need and/or especially worth having? Is this the best company to be protected by?

I don't really know any doctors or med students IRL so I'm just not entirely sure if this is something I need and if this is the company I should go with if I do, basically. Thanks!

It's extremely unlikely you will need to use a defence organisation for their indemnity services as a student (but their other medicolegal services may be of use, especially for electives). It's certainly worth being signed up, not least because there's no cost when you're a student and you get freebies. Once you are qualified you will have to pay and it is strongly advised that you have your own cover in addition to NHS indemnity.

As a student you can get away with being signed up to both MPS and MDU/MDDUS but once you qualify you should choose just one. I am with MPS and have obtained advice from them on a couple of occasions over the years and am happy with their service :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
It's extremely unlikely you will need to use a defence organisation for their indemnity services as a student (but their other medicolegal services may be of use, especially for electives). It's certainly worth being signed up, not least because there's no cost when you're a student and you get freebies. Once you are qualified you will have to pay and it is strongly advised that you have your own cover in addition to NHS indemnity.

As a student you can get away with being signed up to both MPS and MDU/MDDUS but once you qualify you should choose just one. I am with MPS and have obtained advice from them on a couple of occasions over the years and am happy with their service :smile:

Thank you, that’s very helpful! If you can sign up to both as a student I may well do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending