The Student Room Group

Got an offer from a grammar school for sixth form: should I go?

5 years ago, I sat the 11 plus and failed. All tests I sat. Fast forward 5 years, after eight 9s, an 8 and and a 7, I received an offer from that same school, without even filling in the application form👀 Incredibly grateful for this opportunity, it's almost a dream come true :smile:
Thing is, the school is far, around 50min commute from my house, and also it is compulsory to take 4 AS levels, compared to my state school which allows you to take 3 AS levels. I wish to apply to medicine later on but I don't know whether the time it takes to get to the school and the extra subject will compromise my ability to do so. E.g. will the 2 hour daily commute make it hard for me to do medicine "stuff" for my application in yr12? Also, will the 4th AS (only AS as I can opt out in yr13) make yr12 very stressful? I'm aiming for all As at the end of yr12 so will taking the fourth subject (geography) make getting those grades significantly harder? Or is it still doable?
Thanks everyone in advance for your help!
Id say only do what you can. Homework and private study are likely going to be necessary for those A*s and a long commute is going to take time off of your timetable and you'll especially need that time if you're wanting to do 4 a levels. Not even to necessarily continuously study just to have some you time. It all depends on how long your motivation lasts during the day can you deal with the 2 hours of commute and 4 alevels worth of work. It is a great opportunity you've been offered and im honestly so proud of the progress you've made. Also think why you would want to go to the grammar school you made it to mostly 9s in a state school are you wanting to go jyst to say you could or because you genuinely think its going to be a great experience for you and help you out in life?
Original post by AmberLeighEvie
Id say only do what you can. Homework and private study are likely going to be necessary for those A*s and a long commute is going to take time off of your timetable and you'll especially need that time if you're wanting to do 4 a levels. Not even to necessarily continuously study just to have some you time. It all depends on how long your motivation lasts during the day can you deal with the 2 hours of commute and 4 alevels worth of work. It is a great opportunity you've been offered and im honestly so proud of the progress you've made. Also think why you would want to go to the grammar school you made it to mostly 9s in a state school are you wanting to go jyst to say you could or because you genuinely think its going to be a great experience for you and help you out in life?

hey, thank you so much the advice! I want to go there because the school has great academic and pastoral support, way more than my current school. All of the extra courses they run alongside the academia I think will really strengthen my med application. I'm just really worried about how difficult everything will be and whether I can cope. The fourth subject is only for AS, I'm definitely going to drop it in yr13.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending