The Student Room Group

How do I incorporate lifeguarding into my personal statement?

Hiya,

I am wanting to study Biochemistry at university and I am completely lost on what to include!! I have been working as lifeguard for over a year and was wondering if that was worth including. I feel that "developing communication skills" and "teamwork" is good but how do I develop on those points. I also think that they are standard answers as well and would like to stand out amongst others.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas?
Hi!! I’m studying biochem and human bio, just put the skills you gained and how they make you suited to the course, good luck!!
I also put my lifeguard job on my personal statement. I based it around giving back to my community and expanding on my passions, eg. Swimming. Stuff like that. In terms of skills you’ve learnt you should also put it in but keep it concise.
Reply 3
Original post by Lau2en _
Hi!! I’m studying biochem and human bio, just put the skills you gained and how they make you suited to the course, good luck!!

Ok thank you, did you write a lot about it or only a small section. I feel like I can write a lot about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Hassan116
I also put my lifeguard job on my personal statement. I based it around giving back to my community and expanding on my passions, eg. Swimming. Stuff like that. In terms of skills you’ve learnt you should also put it in but keep it concise.

Thank you!
Original post by perro123
Ok thank you, did you write a lot about it or only a small section. I feel like I can write a lot about it.

Only a small section at the bottom before my final paragraph, they say around 80% academic and 20% like extra curricular, try and aim for that maybe less depending on the uni you’re going too
Original post by perro123
Hiya,

I am wanting to study Biochemistry at university and I am completely lost on what to include!! I have been working as lifeguard for over a year and was wondering if that was worth including. I feel that "developing communication skills" and "teamwork" is good but how do I develop on those points. I also think that they are standard answers as well and would like to stand out amongst others.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas?

Hey @perro123!

You could also mention your time management skills that you have gained from working a job alongside your studying

Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
It must come with a good deal of responsibility - did you also do first aid or other health and safety training?
Reply 8
Original post by ReadingMum
It must come with a good deal of responsibility - did you also do first aid or other health and safety training?

Yes I had to do a course and I also attend first aid training every month
The main bit of your PS should be about why you like the subject - so extra reading, podcasts, online lectures etc. If you have done any projects, that would be great too. You don't need to write a lot (a sentence at most) about your lifeguard job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending